Corsair Community

X256 Dead Within Hours

Jet_Black

Was pleased to get this in the mail today, installed it externally (via USB) to image my drive over. The image failed at 98% with a 'failed to write' notice. Tried installing the drive directly into the PC, and the BIOS did not see it. The system won't even recognize it via USB any longer... this drive is completely dead.

I see that there are several others with similar issues. Definitely doesn't instill me with much confidence even with an RMA. I'd much rather get a refund at this point.

Yes, I have tried the drive on several systems via SATA, USB, Firewire, you name it... it is definitely dead. No BIOS setting affects whether the drive shows up or not.

Here is the image of the drive label:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3818/img0343r.th.jpg

EDIT1: My RMA was approved. Hopefully this image and information will help track down what the problem is/was. I'm a little worried about my replacement failing, but I'll make sure to backup frequently until it seems all the kinks are worked out.

EDIT2: What is your policy with regard to privacy? As my image neary completed, it's quite likely that a lot of my data made it onto the SSD; and if it's the controller that's dead, the data will still be on the nand memory. Do you wipe those before shipping them off to wherever?

Thanks. I'm sure there's nothing you can say, but it would be really nice to hear back as to whether there was a bad batch, or what the problem was ... I'm quite concerned over my replacement X256 as, obviously, I can't continuously backup my system every five minutes and I worry that the replacement could die as well. I'm thankful this one died before I started to really use it (if it's going to die, rather it die when it's not crucial).

• Corsair Employee
I have no information at this time, but I must say while there have been a few who have had this issue its still less then 8 that I can count and we sold thousands of these drives out of this last lot. So all I can say at this time is we are checking into the failures you and some other have reported and if there is an issue we will post it but no information is available just yet. So at this time I have to assume they are just unlucky sorry!

I have no information at this time, but I must say while there have been a few who have had this issue its still less then 8 that I can count and we sold thousands of these drives out of this last lot. So all I can say at this time is we are checking into the failures you and some other have reported and if there is an issue we will post it but no information is available just yet. So at this time I have to assume they are just unlucky sorry!

Do you recommend any 'stress test' I can run my SSD through to sort of ensure it's stability? Does ATTO or Crystalmark stress a drive at all?

• Corsair Employee
There should not be any need to stress a SSD there are no moving parts so they should not fail that way and any stress test that you would find would be looking for errors commonly associated with a spinning HDD. So I don't know that any results from a test like that would be reliable. However, There are several bench marks that will run system stress tests which may be good to run like Si-Soft Sandra or 3D Mark2006 for example.

Hi... i got the same problem with them too...

Had the ssd for a good 2 days... laptop went frozen while mc afee is updating (not much work there)

restarted...... then, GONE...

just submited an online RMA, hoping to get a replacement drive asap

(I live in australia tho, guess it will take sometimes)

do u want me to post a pic of the SN or anything ?

• 2 weeks later...
Was pleased to get this in the mail today, installed it externally (via USB) to image my drive over. The image failed at 98% with a 'failed to write' notice. Tried installing the drive directly into the PC, and the BIOS did not see it. The system won't even recognize it via USB any longer... this drive is completely dead.

I see that there are several others with similar issues. Definitely doesn't instill me with much confidence even with an RMA. I'd much rather get a refund at this point.

I had the same experience with a X Series 64GB on my Asus G1S laptop, only had it running for 6 hours, and then suddenly everything locked up. Did a system reboot, BIOS failed to even detect the drive. Lucky I had my original platter drive and put it back in. Tested the SSD in a caddy, still nothing. It had completely died and no reason except the controller my have died, therefore the BIOS would not show it. I upgraded to the 128GB and its still going with Windows 7.

Archived