Corsair Community

New memory doesn't work

tennek

I was running with 4gb of Dominator memory in my system (CM2x1024 8500c5d) and wanted to add more. To keep for now at least 2g of the original memory I tried to add 2 dimms of CM2x2048-8500c5d. When I tried to boot with the new memory the system stops at "base memory detect" and will not go on. I try it with just one or 2 dimms of the new memory and all the other memory out and get the same result. If I put the old memory back in it will boot up normally. Could it be that the memory is defective? According to the compatibility chart this should work in my system. And I do not have a problem with the memory in there now.

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I have tried what I was instructed to;

Set the voltage to 2.1v

Memory Freq to 800

And the setting to 5-5-5-15-2t

I am still getting the boot error C1 Base memory Detect

I also noticed even though I set the sequence to 5-5-5-15 2t when I boot up the next time with the original memory in it is coming back 5-5-5-18 2t. With the original memory in and checking that the BIOS setting did not change, the second time the boot screen returns to 5-5-5-15. I tried this twice and got the same results each time.

Archived