Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D on Asus P5QL Pro

amiq

Hi,

I am trying to setup a linux workstation with 8GBs of memory(two sets of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D) with a P5QL PRO Asus motherboard.

I checked various settings and I am currently running at

800Mhz, 5-5-5-15 , 2.1V and it seems to be stable.

I have a couple of questions:

1) It was suggested that to get an stable system with this setting I need to run at 800 , so is there a way to run at 1066?

2) is it OK/correct to run at 5-5-5-15?

3) Shall i modify the Northern Bridge Voltage? what should it be? How can I look up the default NB voltage? Do I also need to increase the southern Bridge voltage?

4) The memory data sheet suggests running at 5-5-5-15,2T , where shall I specify 2T, there was nowhere on the bios AI Tweak menu to set that.

Cheers,

AmiQ

• Corsair Employee

It will be hit and miss running 4 modules at DDR1066 using two sets of Twin2x modules, but you can try it and see if its stable in http://www.memtest.org.

And I have posted this previous about mixing two sets but use these settings for the NB and memory Voltage.

Also the default Voltage will normally be the first choice in the menu.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• 2 weeks later...

So my problem with 4 modules and 8GB has not been solved yet.

Basically i have tried many many many different settings and all of them caused the computer to work fine for 2-3 days. after 2-3 days the computer crashed and i got errors of memtest.

the only stable setting was when i set the memory voltage to 2.3 and NB to 1.3 at 677 Hz . However, I am worried that I might damage the chips.

has anyone got any success in running two sets of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D on an Asus motherboard?

Amin

I have the same issues and finally gave up after trying everything suggested. I went back to just 4 GB.

It would run fine for a while and then BSOD errors would start happening after a period (could be anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days).

If I ran memtest right after the error without powering down, it would show hundreds of errors. If I powered-down and restarted, there would be 0 errors so I don't think it is faulty hardware.

With only 2 sticks (4GB), I've never had a BSOD in either Vista x64 or now Windows 7 x64.

Archived