Corsair Community

TX650W - Hold Power to Boot?

reason

I just swapped out an old PSU for the 650TX. Now, if I press the power button nothing happens. Specifically, the power indicator light on the mobo will dim then turn back on. The only way I can power up my system is to hold the power button for 3-5 seconds.

After some searching it seems that this could be related to the new PSU doing a soft start and the mobo not playing well with the delay. Is there any known fix/workaround for this issue?

Thank you in advance.

It is a Dell 435 MT, so it is using a mini ATX Foxconn of some sort I would imagine. And yes, I have read about Dell using "proprietary" PSUs in their mini towers. I am still unsure as to why this would cause the soft boot issue.

I don't really care if I have to hold the button a few seconds to boot every time. My bigger concern is just that the PSU and/or components are not going to fail eventually because of some strange power issue.

Just confirmed with Dell that this motherboard is fully ATX compliant. They obviously wouldn't do much to help troubleshoot a problem with a part that was not theirs. Any help or diagnostic advice would be greatly appreciated.

Could this be an issue with the power button itself? Is that something that even happens? I have not tried unplugging the button and manually shorting the jumpers on the motherboard to see if it powers on right away or not.

Archived