Corsair Community

2nd Defective TR3X6G1600C8D kit in a row ???

Hi,

I would like to give you a complete case history of the problems I have been facing issues with my Dominator 6GB Kit (TR3X6G1600C8D).

I reside in India and purchased my 6GB (TR3X6G1600C8D - Ver2.1) from the main distributor of India, Tirupati Enterprises. Much to my shock I was unable to run OCCT for more than 5 minutes. I ran a Memtest 86+ v2.11 and found errors on the memory and reported the same to the distributor so that he could initiate RMA procedures. On my insistence the waiting period came down from 7 days to 2 days for the RMA, and the new RAM (TR3X6G1600C8D - Ver2.2) was delivered as promised.

My system Specs at that time were:-

Motherboard : Gigabyte EX-58UD5 (Bios F7)

CPU: Core i7 920 (DO) Bath: 3845

Case: ******** 1200

HDD: WD Raptor 300 GB, WD 1TB, WD 500GB

DVD-Rom: Sony

Memory: TR3X6G1600C8D

GPU: 2x 4890 (CF)

O/s: Windows 7

Power: Corsair HX-1000W

UPS: APC R S 1500

CPU Heatsink: Thermal Right Ultra Extreme 120 Black + 2x 110CFM Scythe Fans in push pull

After testing with my new RAM my system was still unstable while running at stock speeds. Unable to figure out the reason for my instability I started doubting other components as well, except my newly replaced RAM. This lead me to test my system with other hardware. I eliminated a PSU & CPU problem by running another 1000w Corsair (HX-1000) & another i7920, but still failed. I then started tilting towards my Gigabyte EX58UD5 being the problem with many support forums entailing timing issues with Over Clocked Memory (my initial query with your good self regarding RAM Sub-Timings & QPI DRAM Voltages), at which point I remembered a friend who was running a 6GB Dominator Kit with an ASUS Rampage 2 Extreme working perfectly fine at stock speeds and setup defaults with XMP enabled. I went out and purchased the ASUS Rampage 2 Extreme which is an expensive piece of equipment and with a proven track record of working with the 6GB Dominator Kit TR3X6G1600C8D. However, much to my dismay stability was still unattainable with my newly replaced Dominator and hence I had no other alternative but to cast doubts on my RAM.

I must add, that I did run my replaced (RMA) kit through a Memtest 86+ v2.11 and it passed flawlessly. I started by running my system without XMP enabled that is running at stock (1066)and much to my amazement it passed a 20 Minute stress test of OCCT and IBT (Linx 10 runs). I then pushed the Memory manually to 1333 MHZ and was again stable, but once pushed to 1600MHZ CL8 (basically the advertised speed of the memory), all stress test failed ending in my system being unstable. This was my SECOND defective 6GB Dominator Kit (TR3X6G1600C8D) , in a row, but being a CORSAIR Fanboy and believer in the quality of your products and support, I went out and purchased another Corsair Memory Kit, this time the slightly economical XMS31600CL9 (TR3X6G1600C9). The XMS memory ran flawlessly completing a 20 minute OCCT test at 1600 with XMP enabled. This ruled out my motherboard being incompatible with Memory at 1600 Mhz. Just to be doubly sure, as the chance of getting 2 defective Dominator Series memory kits is so rare... rather unthinkable, I borrowed my friends 6GB Dominator Kit (TR3X6G1600C8D) , and ran it at 1600Mhz with XMP enabled and it passed a 20 minute OCCT test, thereby certifying my memory being faulty.

To summarize my XMS 6GB (TR3X6G1600C9) Kit and my friends Dominator (TR3X6G1600C8D) Kits which he got from the US both work perfectly with just XMP enabled in my Rampage 2 Extreme’s Bios. Only my kit of Corsair Dominator (TR3X6G1600C8D) which was the replacement for the Kit which i had purchased locally in India will not work with XMP enabled in the Bios.

I have been an avid supporter, loyal customer and above all at heart a true follower of your line of products as displayed in a picture attached for your reference. This thread contains pictures of Corsair products purchased by me and my friend who also swears by your legendary support. I do intend on being a continued supporter of corsair but am let down by what I have experienced, especially since I haven’t received a concrete response from the distributor as far as my 2nd RMA is concerned and was hoping that with your direct intervention my problems regarding this memory would finally cease to exist and I can continue in believing in your legendary brand i.e. CORSAIR.

Will keep you guys posted as to what Tirupati enterprises says to me today about replacing my ram for the 2nd time.. i have a feeling they are going to have issues even though i bought the ram on just the 11th of this month and it has never worked since then..

If they say they have no stock for replacement then what should i do ? They have said that before... infact they kept saying that they have no stock and that a replacement would take 2 weeks to arrive , until i asked for a full refund.. and then mysteriously a Replacement kit was found in a matter of hours which was very STRANGE ....

Im super confused...Should i send it direct to corsair ? I am having serious doubts about the guys handling Corsair here in Mumbai and even INDIA for that matter...

Thank you for all the help and i hope this issues gets resolved quick...

Regards,

Sharan Ahuja

sharan_ahuja@msn.com

The Busted kit.....

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8845/dsc01393k.th.jpg

The XMS3 1600 6GB CL9 Kit that works perfectly..

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1989/dsc01396a.th.jpg

All 3 kits .. Working Dominator kit in the White Corsair Box... the busted Dominator kit in the new Retail Packing and the XMS3 kit that works Perfectly too...

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8709/dsc01397x.th.jpg

All the Hardware i tested on ...

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8831/dsc01398lgq.th.jpg

The Busted kit...

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3417/dsc01403skg.th.jpg

All 3 kits including the busted one in the retail packing...

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5772/dsc01406v.th.jpg

• Corsair Employee
Please contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com and see what kind of advise they would give on where to have them replaced. Provide them with your previous RMA# and let them know this is your second time replacing these memory modules as well. I would agree that receiving two bad kits is odd. Let us know what happens!

• Corsair Employee
More then likely there is nothing wrong with the memory from reading your post more thoroughly I would suspect that playing with the QPI Voltage may have solved the problems you had before. The I920 is hit and miss at speeds above DDR1333 most will have no problems but some of the newer core CPU are verry touchy with the QPI Voltage.

Archived