Corsair Community

Corrupt Data on new Voyager GT 16GB

peternm22

Hello,

I purchased a new Voyager GT 16GB this week, and I'm having some problems with it.

If I copy data above a certain size (say a few megs), I can't read it back from the drive. I get an error saying the file can't be found, then the drive disappears from My Computer and reappears a moment later (as if it was being unplugged and plugged back in). Small text files seem to be fine in my tests. I can delete stuff that I have copied to the drive, but I can't actually read the files. I reformatted the drive, but the problem persists.

Now here is where things get a little odd... I tried the flash drive on another PC and no problems at all. This would lead me to believe the USB ports on my system aren't working properly. However, I use them for several other things (syncing iPod, video capture, game controller), and I have no issues with any of those devices.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Peter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee

Please tell me the actual file size you are trying to copy? if it is less the 3.0 Gig there should not be any problems and I would suggest we try replacing the drive.

But you might try and format the drive with the Format utility from the SD-CARD Organization. Then run the test again, if the issue is not solved then let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it.

Ram Guy,

Thanks for the reply. I tried the utility you posted for formatting, and it doesn't help. I've been trying to copy files 1GB-4GB in size. I've seen problems with files as small as 13MB though.

I've run a few more tests, so hopefully this might be able to narrow down the problem (I'm not convinced the drive is faulty yet).

Here are the tests I have run:

Test 1) I used another PC (Windows XP also). I copied data to and from the drive. Acronis backup images, True Crypt file containers, etc. File sizes ranged from 100MB-4GB. Everything worked fine. I was able to copy the files back, and the Acronis' software backup validation worked fine as well.

Test 2) I left the backup files on the USB drive from test 1, and tried to copy them on my main computer (the computer I've had trouble using the drive with). This didn't work, nothing could be copied. It said the path was invalid, and the drive unmounted and remounted itself.

One thing to note, is that every time the files fail to copy, the failure happens right away. The progress bar never even comes up before failing.

Test 3) The next test was to copy files onto the drive from the troublesome PC, and then try to copy the files onto the PC which has been working fine. This worked absolutely perfectly, no error messages.

First Conclusion: It appears that the main computer is simply having trouble reading from the drive. Writing to it is fine, since the other PC could read the files properly.

Now that I've started to narrow down the cause, I started tweaking my PC (the troublesome one), to see if I could get it to properly read from the USB drive. Here's what I did: unplugged all other USB devices, reinstalled the USB drivers for the OS, and finally flashed the motherboard BIOS to the newest version.

The result? The PC still can't read from the USB drive.

Have you heard of anything like this before? The tests that I've run indicate a problem with the USB on my system, but since I use them for so many other things with no problem whatsoever, the results of my tests seem to be a bit conflicting.

I don't want to RMA the drive before I know it's the culprit, so if there are any ideas you have I would really appreciate the help :sigh!:

Thanks again.

-Peter

Ram Guy,

Thanks, I have my RMA now.

Quick question about packing it. Should I just send the USB drive by itself in a padded envelope (or a box with padding)? Or should I sent the whole original packaging with it?

Thanks.

-Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Seems I'm not alone on this issue. I purchased the same Voyager GT 16GB drive earlier this week. On my home PC (aging Asus A7N8XE Deluxe motherboard) I can copy files without a problem to the drive. Copying them off again sees the drive light go out and the drive unmounts itself and comes back a second or 2 later. This machine runs XP SP3.

I then tried it on a HP 530 notebook running Vista. It starts to copy the file off at a nice 30MB/sec, then the light goes out, there's a long pause, but Vista eventually continues copying the files off at a much reduced speed.

At the office, I have a generic type of HP desktop with Intel chipset. On this PC it copies the files and only once did I see this behaviour. Works fine on notebooks running XP as well, but all Intel based machines. On an older IBM hunkajunk desktop box it also seemed to work fine. Both machines running XP SP3.

Went out and purchased a VIA based USB PCI card. Tried it on the IBM and now the copying fails. Went out and purchased a NEC based USB PCI card and installed here at home. No luck, it still fails.

I took the device back to the supplier over here and had them test it. Ofcourse, it wouldn't fail. They were running Vista.

I feels like the method used to get these massive speeds out of the Voyager GT is just not compatible with all hardware.

I am going to return it tomorrow and get another one. I purchased this one to test it out for myself before offering to clients as I'm a reseller.

There is a note on the paperwork of the NEC-based controller card: Current limitations of the driver are: Composite devices and Hi-Speed Isochronous Transfers are currently not supported. Would this be the reason for these issues?

I have a feeling the replacement GT is going to have the same issue.

Has there been any solution to these issues?

Also, yes I have formatted the drive and even used the SDFormatter utility from panasonic. This does not fix the problem.

• Corsair Employee

How big or large is the file you are trying to copy?

And I would suggest we try and replace the drive and see what happens but I have not seen any problems like this when I have tested the drive!

Hi!

My supplier was reluctant to replace the unit. I think they are short stocked or something. They would give me a credit, but I've brought the drive back to see what I can figure out. They could not reproduce the error on their machines, but they are all much newer Intel items it seems.

The test file is around 750MB. I've been busy with it all evening now. Running it both on the USB ports of the motherboard as well as the NEC-based USB PCI card. I even tried NTFS as the file system.

I let XP do a scan for "bad sectors". During this the drive switches off, then comes back and allows the scan to complete. After that I managed to copy the file off several times. However, after unmounting/remounting it I wind up with the same issue again.

Tomorrow I will once again test it on other machines at my office. It does seem to be related to the motherboard chipset or perhaps a driver.

I ran usbspy and there are some "unexpected disconnect" events happening. The event viewer log is getting filled with "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk6\D during a paging operation." so it has to be some stupid microsoft driver issue. HD6 is the flash drive in this case.

If it fails on other machines tomorrow then I'll send it in for a credit at my supplier and just face the facts my home PC is aging badly. :)

One more thing... set the motherboard to be USB 1.1 only and it copies the file(s) without much hassle. It is super sloooooowwww, but it does the copy over and over. :) So it must be the ports or the nforce2 chipset or whatever not liking the speed of this thing.

Archived