Corsair Community

DDR Ram Help, Plz...

Dungeoncrawler

My current mem config: Dimm slot 1: 256MB corsairXMS ddr(blue slot) Dimm slot 2: empty(black slot) Dimm slot 3: 256MB corsairXMS ddr(blue slot) Dimm slot 4: empty(black slot) Now my problem: I have a 512MB corsairXMS ddr module I would like to install. Problem is, when I insert it into dimm slots 2 or 4, upon boot, I get a memory read/write test error. The three modules where bought at the same time from newegg.com. I even returned the original, and had a replacement sent, thinking it might be a defective module. Any ideas? My motherboard is the PC4800-E Deluxe ASUS. P4 3.0E 800FSB/Hyperthreading. The 512MB CorsairXMS module number is XMS3200R/CMX512R/3200C2 Thanks for any help... DC/Gary

Welcome to the forums, Dungeoncrawler! If I'm correct that the model name on your 512Mb module is: [b]CMX512[color=red]R[/color]-3200C2[/b] Then it's not a failing module, it's an incompatable one. The [b][color=red]R[/color][/b] denotes [color=red][b]registered[/b][/color] memory. Although sometimes it works with your board ([i]for some reason, 1 module can...[/i]), it won't work with the other two un-buffered modules you have ([i]I'm guessing the model on the other two is: CMX256A-3200C2[/i]). You really need to run un-buffered, non-registered, non-ECC memory with that mainboard! That is, memory without an [color=red][b]R[/b][/color] or [color=red][b]RE[/b][/color] in the model name. [EDIT]I'd return that module (or eBay it) and get another pair of matched modules.[/EDIT] CAS - 2.5 RAS to CAS Delay - 3 RAS Precharge - 3 Cycle Time (tRAS) - 7 DDR Voltage - 2.7x BTW, if you feel you've got a failing module, run it by itself with [url=www.memtest86.com]Memtest86[/url] ([i]pull the other modules out of the board, that is[/i]). PLUR CK

• Corsair Employee
Well actually, with Intel chipset the modules would need to be matching when in dual channel. In other words you can run 2-256 Meg sticks in slots 1-3 and 2-512 Meg sticks in slots 2-4. But you would not be able to mix densities!

Okay people...if I have my facts straight, I need to purchase another 512MB module of the same type (R) as described in the previous message, or I need to send/sell the current 512MB module and get a non-registered, non- EEC 512MB module? Just a little confused, but really appreciate the replies. Thanks again. DC/Gary

Sorry! I think I'm doing more confusing and less helping on this one... You should sell/find another purpose for your registered module and get non-registered, non-ECC modules. If you wanted another 512Mb total (for 1Gb) I'd reccommend the TwinX512-3200C2 pack which is a pair of 256Mb SIMMs (2 x CMX256A-3200C2). Just to drive what RAM GUY said home (into my own head too) you'll need to purchase TWO more modules to keep running in Dual-Channel! They'll need to be the same type and same size to function correctly, which is why I suggested the TwinX pack, it's exactly that. PLUR CK

dude, don't be crazy... :o: I appeciate any/all replies to questions I post. No one is perfect, and that especially applies to me. It was not that you were confusing me, it was just that I wanted to make sure I was reading both of you correctly. Sorry for the confusion. Hehe, I know what to do now. Going to go the (x2)256MB route I think. I'm just glad I know now what the problem is. I really thought maybe my mobo had a couple of dead dimm slots. Have a nice weekend all. DC/Gary

Archived