Corsair Community

Second HX620 dead, have I found a bad batch?

deadant

Hi people.

The day before yesterday I had my second HX620 go down within three months of operation, has anyone heard of a bad batch or similar with a unusual high failure rate? Btw, they are the (old?) version with separate 4- and 8-pin sould that matter.

They have both been used in the same computer (spec below), which as far as I and the tool at http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp, should not come even close to pushing the PSU limit. I also confirmed by measuring the power drawn from outlet and newer got it over 1.5A (i.e. ~350W with 230V here in Europe).

Until they break the were working just perfectly - no speeding fan, no suspect hizing or crackling noise, nothing except a perfectly working unit. Then all by suden they broke down, taking the outlet fuse with them. Nothing else seems to have taken any damage though, neither within the computer or other equipment in the same outlet.

Any thoughts on this? Have I just had the bad luck to recieve two bad units or is there any idea what may cause this behavior?

Thanks,

Emil

• Corsair Employee
There are no known issues with this PSU (even the older version with separate 4 and 8 pin EPS connectors) that I am aware of. Its very unlikely to get two units that would both fail in the same way so it is either bad luck or there might be some other component that has something to do with it. At any rate we will want to replace the unit for you. You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Hi RamGuy, thanks for getting back to me!

Since the PSU was new enough, I have had it replaced by the store already and let them handle the return to you. I doubt they will do that for me the full five year guaranty though, but then agan -- I hope it should not be necesary anyway.

And while I tend to agree on the odds for this to happen (two PSUs failing this way), I just can't see what could cause it. The motherboard have been rock solid a long time, the only new item in the system is the graphics card. And for it to all by sudden (it worked before and works after) somehow break the PSU, surpassing the overload and/or short circuit protection, doesn't seem very likely either.

Anyway, as the unit have been replaced let us hope it is the end of the story. Even given your much appreciated support and offer to change it, I'd rather have it not break again ;-)

Best regards,

Emil

Archived