Corsair Community

D975XBX2 with 4X1GB-6400C4D Won't post

marioweb

Hi All,

I'm from Brazil. So, I apologize for my English. It's my first post here, but I've read this forum a lot.

I'm having the same problem, I've been using this Bad AXE MB with 4 sticks of 6400C4D for almost 3 years without any problems. But the other day, just out of the blue, my CPU won't POST, it kept reading the DVD drive and no signal to video, the LCD screen stayed black. I tried a lot of things to solve the problem, (cleared CMOS, changed CR2032 3V battery) and it worked. All just fine. But only as far the next time I turned on the CPU and it won't POST again. And again I tried a lot of things to solve it but to make a long history short, my CPU won't POST until I REMOVE 1 mem stick. With just 3 sticks it goes fine!!! Then after letting the CPU running for a while to warm it up (like a car! 2 or 3 minutes) I shut it down, put in the mem stick I removed and it works fine until the next shut down. Every when it stay off for a night or more I have to pull out the mem stick to make it POST. Very strange. Any ideas why this may be happen after almost 3 years of normal use???:confused: Thanks!

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Test each module singly with Memtest.

Shut the system down. Boot to the Memtest CD with that single stick and allow for two full passes. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it in slot two. Repeat memtest. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it into slot three and repeat memtest. Do the same for the last slot. You have now tested one stick and all four slots. Shut the system down and insert the second stick in slot one. Retest. Shut the system down and remove the second stick and insert the third stick in slot one. Repeat Memtest. Do the same with the last stick. You have now tested all four sticks in single channel mode.

Now test for the Dual Channel Mode function of the memory controller. Insert a stick in slot one and three and memtest. Remove the set and insert the second set in slot two and four and memtest.

Please post your report such as:

Stick 1 - Slot 1 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest 
Stick 1 - Slot 2 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest 
Stick 1 - Slot 3 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest 
Stick 1 - Slot 4 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest 

Stick 2 - Slot 1 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest
Stick 3 - Slot 1 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest
Stick 4 - Slot 1 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest

Stick 1 & 2 - Slot 1 & 3 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest
Stick 2 & 4 = Slot 2 & 4 = No boot/Pass/Fail Memtest

Results?

If you pass, then I think your memory controller may be getting a bit wonky. Increasing the voltage to it might bring about stability.

Easiest fix? Lower your bandwidth, and increase your MCH voltage until you find stability, if you find stability. I have seen these boards memory controller simply fails a slot. The proof in that will be held to a singular slot and isolated otherwise. If you pass all four modules in single mode and any three slots populated give your previously mentioned results, then I would say that the memory controller is becoming wonky. Remember, this chipset was designed for P4D and was revamped for Core 2 and as such has worked with the full population (Slots) for years.

Hi All,

I'm from Brazil. So, I apologize for my English. It's my first post here, but I've read this forum a lot.

I'm having the same problem, I've been using this Bad AXE MB with 4 sticks of 6400C4D for almost 3 years without any problems. But the other day, just out of the blue, my CPU won't POST, it kept reading the DVD drive and no signal to video, the LCD screen stayed black. I tried a lot of things to solve the problem, (cleared CMOS, changed CR2032 3V battery) and it worked. All just fine. But only as far the next time I turned on the CPU and it won't POST again. And again I tried a lot of things to solve it but to make a long history short, my CPU won't POST until I REMOVE 1 mem stick. With just 3 sticks it goes fine!!! Then after letting the CPU running for a while to warm it up (like a car! 2 or 3 minutes) I shut it down, put in the mem stick I removed and it works fine until the next shut down. Every when it stay off for a night or more I have to pull out the mem stick to make it POST. Very strange. Any ideas why this may be happen after almost 3 years of normal use???:confused: Thanks!

Hi DerekT,

Finaly after doing all the tests I think a got a culprit. It is a bad stick. Strange thing is sometimes it works sometimes not.

Good thing is that is not a problem with the board. I'll go after another pair of sticks when I got some time and money.

Thanks a lot for your guidance in this issue.

All the best!

Mario

Below are the tests results:

Stick 1 - Slot 1 = boot/Pass Memtest

Stick 1 - Slot 2 = boot/Pass Memtest

Stick 1 - Slot 3 = boot/Pass Memtest

Stick 1 - Slot 4 = boot/Pass Memtest

Stick 2 - Slot 1 = boot/PassMemtest

Stick 3 - Slot 1 = No boot/No Memtest

Stick 4 - Slot 1 = boot/Pass Memtest

Stick 1 & 2 - Slot 1 & 3 = boot/Pass Memtest

Stick 1 & 2 - Slot 2 & 4 = boot/Pass Memtest

Stick 3 & 4 = Slot 1 & 3 = No boot/No Memtest

Stick 3 & 4 = Slot 2 & 4 = No boot/No Memtest

• 3 weeks later...
This is exactly why I bought Corsair Memory for my first build....and have not looked back ever since. I'm in my 5th build now, and countless fixes of other peoples machines, and they all leave me with Corsair Memory installed if it came with a memory issue. And... I, TOO, do not work for Corsair, either. <chuckles and points at Wired :- X

Archived