Corsair Community

HX620 won't work on my system

brundle

Just got an HX620 today, required to power an NVidia 9800GT which needs more juice than my no-name 480w PSU can supply.

Plugged everything in, powered up, CPU fan spins for a couple of seconds, then the system shuts down - then powers up again, and just sits there doing nothing. I've tried both 9800GT and original 7900GS, same thing - no POST beeps even if the 6 pin connector is removed from the graphics card, even if the card itself is removed. I've put the old 480w unit back in and I'm using the system (with the 7900GS installed) to post this. The HX620 does power up an ancient Athlon 950 box I have spare, but it has no voltage monitoring in the BIOS (I do know that can't be relied upon anyway).

My current system is self-built about a year ago - never overclocked or otherwise non-standard, I consider myself pretty competent and I'm sure everything was plugged in where it should be.

Any thoughts or suggestions very welcome before I contact the vendor for RMA....

Hi thanks for the reply - I took the whole system apart and checked everything. My current 7900GS graphics card now works in the system, my new one doesn't - it seems that is the real issue. System is running reliably and virtually silently with the new PSU installed.

Archived