Corsair Community

VX450 +5V rail instability

malc

Hi all,

I'm seeing some instability in the +5V rail of my VX450 (purchased a week ago), as reported by my motherboard's sensor. The voltage varies from about 4.6V to about 5.2V, as shown in the following graph:

http://malc.org.uk/s/jupiter-Corsair-VX450-instability.png

The voltage variation seems to have some relation to the system temperature:

http://malc.org.uk/s/jupiter-Corsair-VX450-instability-temp.png

This is a home server and it's probably drawing under 200W, so I doubt I'm overloading the PSU. The system seems stable (so far -- touch wood) but I was wondering whether the voltage instability is normal or whether I've got a bad PSU.

Thanks.

Malcolm

• Corsair Employee
The 5v rail should remain between 4.75-5.25v in order to be within spec. Keep in mind that software readings are not 100% accurate and can be off by quite a bit. Also, the voltages that you are reading are not from the PSU, but from the motherboard after its regulated the voltage, so you could have completely different readings with the same PSU in a different motherboard. If you ever start having stability issues and it looks like it could be PSU related then we can replace the unit for you, however at this point, I wouldn't worry about the voltage readings.

Right, thanks for the really helpful info. With any luck it will just be the motherboard reporting the voltage incorrectly (I'll check with a multimeter next time I have access to that box).

Malcolm

• Corsair Employee
Right, thanks for the really helpful info. With any luck it will just be the motherboard reporting the voltage incorrectly (I'll check with a multimeter next time I have access to that box).

Malcolm

Yeah, multimeter is the best way to measure the voltages if you have access to one. If for some reason the 5v was out of spec when measured with the mutlimeter, then an RMA might be necessary.

Archived