Corsair Community

Slight buzzing coming from TX750 while OFF.

fleck

It basically sounds like a little transformer and I have to put my ear next to it to hear it. All I have to do is plug in the power cord and 'bzzz', power switch position doesn't matter. It's plugged into a Belkin surge protector. It does continue to slightly buzz after I turn it on too.

Anyway I've never had a PSU do this before and I'm wondering if it's happening because it's so good and powerful, or if I should exchange it for one that won't blow up.

This is the exact same thing with my power supply, however my LED fans flicker when off along with the buzzing noise.

I registered to see if anyone else has this problem.

Are our PSU's normal? Should I do an RMA?

In my case, I tried using a surge protector and directly plugging into the wall.

This hum is still present with flashing fan LED's (for the two fans I have plugged into molex connectors)

The switch on the back of the PSU will stop the hum and flickering LEDs.

Is the hum while off normal, and the flickering LEDs a side effect of it?

I had them plugged into the motherboard too, and they still flickered when off. I went ahead and RMA'ed my PSU. Now if the new one does it, should I possibly investigate my motherboard? Perhaps using a 750w instead of my old 600w "fried" it? I have no clue, the flickering lights and hum baffled a computer technician at my work.

Yeah if you get a new one and it still does weird things you should definitely look for another culprit.

I thankfully bought mine at a local retailer a few days ago and can just go give another TX750 a shot and see if it also does the same thing. Since I haven't got a reply from anyone official yet I guess that's what I'll do.

When the PSU is off, there should be no humm, have you tried disconnecting the 24-pin and the 8/4 pin from the motherboard and see if it still does the same thing?

Thanks for the response. I was pretty sure that this was abnormal LOL. I haven't tried that yet but I will right now. What would that tell me though? The board is definitely properly mounted, I'm sure of that.

• Corsair Employee
There are two connectors on the 24-pin connector which need to be bridged in order for the PSU to be "on" (green + black wires). Unless these wires are bridged the PSU should not be able to provide any current so unless the switch on the back of the PSU is broken then the motherboard would be the most likely culprit in this case. When you press the power button on your case these wires are bridged and the PSU starts up. You may also want to try disconnecting your power button on your case and see if there is any change.

• Corsair Employee
Yes I did disconnect the 24 pin and the hum was still present.

I can't explain how the PSU could be humming or doing anything at all when the switch is turned off and the 24-pin connector is not plugged in, but if you are sure its the PSU, then we can try replacing it. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Thank you for the help. If this new one does the same thing, then it must be something wrong with my set up. The only difference from before was that I was using a 600w supply from a corsair competitor, and I upgraded my RAM on vista 64 to 8GB from 4GB. The RAM is all DRR2 800 Corsair RAM of course :-)

Archived