Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3200C2PT with a Foxconn 661FX7MJ-RS

dopey

I bought the Corsair RAM TWINX2048-3200C2PT and found out the hard way it isn't compatible with an old Dell Dim 4600.

I bought a new barebones computer with a "FOXCONN 661FX7MJ-RS SATA AGP 8X MBOARD"

Will the RAM be compatible with this motherboard? I can't find any information on this mobo on the corsair website.

Thank you very much for your time.

• Corsair Employee
Yes it should be but you will need to set the memory voltage to 2.75 Volts and that MB is single channel so it may only run one module at DDR400 with two modules they may suggest DDR333.

Sorry, I'm stupid, didn't quite understand the second part of that.

You're saying it might only be able to read 1 of them, not both?

And as for the voltage, how do I go about changing that?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee

Sorry, I'm stupid, didn't quite understand the second part of that.

You're saying it might only be able to read 1 of them, not both?

A: Yes at DDR400 I would suggest talking to FOXCONN or check the manual for limitations.

And as for the voltage, how do I go about changing that?

A: I would suggest talking to FOXCONN or check the manual for how to make the BIOS changes.

Well, the only limitations are:

"Support Max. 2GB Single Channel 400MHz / 333MHz / 266MHz DDR x2 DIMMs"

With that info, this RAM applies, but, how is dual channel ram in a single channel mobo? I assume it'll read both, as 2GB total, but how much slower will it be compared to if it was a dual channel mobo?

I looked in the manual -- it does allow voltage changes for RAM (yay). My question is.. don't you need working RAM to even access the BIOS?

Thanks

The memory is Dual Channel Capable, not Dual Channel Memory. There is no such thing as Dual Channel Memory since Dual Channel is a function of the memory controller and not the memory. If memory is of the same timings, banks and speed, then the memory fulfils the Dual Channel Requirements of the memory controller.

Dual Channel Capable memory will work just fine in the Single Channel Mode of the memory controller.

The memory will work at JEDEC standards and allow you boot and BIOS access. I would install one stick. Restart and enter BIOS. Effect the BIOS changes, shut down and install the second stick. Restart.

Well, the only limitations are:

"Support Max. 2GB Single Channel 400MHz / 333MHz / 266MHz DDR x2 DIMMs"

With that info, this RAM applies, but, how is dual channel ram in a single channel mobo? I assume it'll read both, as 2GB total, but how much slower will it be compared to if it was a dual channel mobo?

I looked in the manual -- it does allow voltage changes for RAM (yay). My question is.. don't you need working RAM to even access the BIOS?

Thanks

Ah! I feel enlightened! Thanks so much!

So dual channel is just something the mobo does. So it'll still be 2GB ram, it just won't be quite as fast as it would be in a dual-channel mobo.

So I insert one stick, enter bios, go to ram voltages, change that to 2.75, save and shut down and insert the second one? That sounds easy enough!

So why the hell does it not work in a dell dim 4600?

Because the Dell OEM machine does not allow for a voltage increase. Also, OEM machines are often VERY stringent on their JEDEC standards and with them the best route is fully JEDEC approved memory such as Corsair Value Select Memory. OEM machines have hacked BIOS's that often do not allow for any real high end memory products in their BIOS memory tables.

So why the hell does it not work in a dell dim 4600?

I would install one stick. Restart and enter BIOS. Effect the BIOS changes, shut down and install the second stick. Restart.

I'm just a little confused; if I insert one stick and the cpu turns on and I can access bios, doesn't that mean it works without any changes needed?

And what if I insert one stick and it doesn't turn on / I can't access BIOS?

Just tryin to fully understand all this stuff! thanks!

• Corsair Employee
I would try it and see what happens and if it does Boot then what I stated would most likely be the reason it will not post with both installed, you may have to set the memory frequency at DDr333 for it to post with two modules installed.

Gentlemen,

All this conversation fails to mention the following;

This MB requires Un-Buffered and Non- ECC (error correction) ram.

Unfortunately these specs are not in the Foxxconn user guide nor does most RAM packaging include this. I discovered this by purchasing ECC and Buffered

DDR RAM for this product and thru self discovery realizing it was incompatible.

I took a phone call to Foxconn tech support to discover this.

The previously mentioned (By You) TWINX2048-3200C2PT is Not ECC Registered/Buffered memory. So why would there be any mention of such memory? You needed to contact Foxconn regarding their motherboard to find out what memory is acceptable. Your board and the RAM is not ECC/Registered-Buffered capable.

Gentlemen,

All this conversation fails to mention the following;

This MB requires Un-Buffered and Non- ECC (error correction) ram.

Unfortunately these specs are not in the Foxxconn user guide nor does most RAM packaging include this. I discovered this by purchasing ECC and Buffered

DDR RAM for this product and thru self discovery realizing it was incompatible.

I took a phone call to Foxconn tech support to discover this.

I bought the Corsair RAM TWINX2048-3200C2PT and found out the hard way it isn't compatible with an old Dell Dim 4600.

I bought a new barebones computer with a "FOXCONN 661FX7MJ-RS SATA AGP 8X MBOARD"

Will the RAM be compatible with this motherboard? I can't find any information on this mobo on the corsair website.

Thank you very much for your time.

That makes sense. The memory you really need for your board is fully JEDEC compatible ie. Corsair Value Select memory.

Thank you so much for that information!

This RAM actually functioned with only 1 stick in, but not with 2. And the voltage could not be changed. So.. ugh.

Archived