Corsair Community

Corsair made this motherboard smoke

illicit

Ok I had to purchase a copy of windows xp pro oem for work but to get the OEM I needed to buy some ram. Now the only shop my company likes to use (same day deliver) only sells CORSAIR DDDR. So I was like what the hell, the machine I'm putting xp on could probably do with some RAM anyway. So I get a 256mb stick of XMS4000. Anyway I get the stuff delivered format the hard drive in preperation for installing xp and think I might aswell throw the CORSAIR in there even though the motherboard is only a 533fsb. THe board it a gigabyte GA-8SR533P. I was thinking ok its abit of a waste putting this ram in this board but what else am I going to do with. So I open the case insert the ram, close the case and startup the computer. Im watching the monitor waiting for the post to appear... the monitor continues to sit there and blink at me, I start to think ok the CORSAIR mustn't be backwards compatible or something and look towards to box to turn it off and low and behold smoke is pissing out of it. I'm like wtf pwned IRL! and pull the plug. I removed the ram and tried again, this time no smoke but I get the nice POST beep signal for no ram detected. So i throw in the old ram hoping that is was smoke pouring from the CORSAIR stick and not my MOBO and fire it up, but no still get the nice POST beep you have no ram n00b. So what I wanna know is there a history of this happening. Is CORSAIR not backwards compatible, i.e. will it fry motherboards that aren't 800mhz fsb? I admit to being a n00b when it comes to CORSAIR but in my past experience RAM that is rated higher works fine in lower rated motherboards. Is there an exception when it comes to CORSAIR. Now I have to work out how Im going to explain to my boss that I also need to buy a new mother board to do a windowss xp upgrade and why my office smells like an electrical fire....

• Corsair Employee
No there is no history, in fact I have not heard of any one doing this with this MB. The only way that would have happened is if the module was installed backwards. I would suggest that you ask your reseller if they can swap the modules for you. In addition, our XMS4000 modules will not run bellow DDR400 speed. So I would suggest that you use a module that’s been suggested by the MB maker. Giga-Byte MB's have not over clocked as well as other makers in our lab! And I would not suggest XMS4000 with any MB that they make.

Cheers for the info. Looks like I will keep the COSAIR (if it still works) for my computer at home, btw the mobo did fry, but luckily I had a spare one anyway. p.s. how do you put a ram stick in backwards unless I filed out my own key in it.

Archived