Corsair Community

Configurator results changed after support request

CoolRaoul

Hello all,

Two week ago I used Corsair memory configurator to find a compatible 800mhz DDR2 2x2Gb kit for my Dell XPS 42O system.

Two different part numbers corresponding to my requests were found at that time:

• TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX
  • TWIN2X4096-6400C5 (without the DHX)

I have chosen the second one which appeared to be in stock at one of my preferred online store.

Next day after having installed it on my machine, BSODs start to occurs at cold boot.

More investigations using memtest have lead me to determine that memory problems show up when booting up the PC in cold state (errors disappears after some minutes of warming up and at memtest second pass. Errors were always located in second byte of 32bits words)

So, I've filled yesterday a support request regarding this issue on the corsair site and strangely, that morning, using the memory configurator with identical system specs only show the "DHX" part number as compatible with my system.

What happened?

DHX is just the DRAM formfactor. The module ICs are the same if the model (6400C5) version is the same.

Dells have a lot of trouble with additional DRAM. I would say that you will have a repeat of this issue when you receive the RMA DRAM.

I always advise people who buy Dell machines to deal directly with Dell for DRAM upgrades.

I am just a simple member here but if it were up to me, the high end Dell machines would not even be found in the memory configurator. Dell's BIOS enumeration for DRAM is the worst I have ever seen int heir high end boxes. Did you use Ntune to setup your 2 X 1024MB modules? If so, use Ntune again and set all default. Enter your BIOS and load Default settings. Save Default settings. Go to your DRAM speed and set it to 800Mhz and DRAM voltage to 2.1v. Save settings (not default again) and reboot. You will then have your system set back to default and set your DRAM to 800Mhz to deal with the four DRAM slot population which is a far different situation than populating with a single kit.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&dl=false&l=en&s=dhs&docid=2D49BCB34F93B73BE040A68F5B281E9B

The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits and they do not have any Quad Kits in DDR3. This does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). If they fail as a kit or singly, then you have RMA. Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers.

You are advised to drop the bandwidth to 800Mhz and raise the NB Voltage +.2v.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller or On CPU (AMD) and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on CPU (AMD) memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population.

Did you use Ntune to setup your 2 X 1024MB modules? If so, use Ntune again and set all default.

Ntune? On an Intel Intel X38 Chipset?

Here's the direct link to the configurator page:

http://www.corsairmemory.com/configurator/system_results.aspx?id=629644

Enter your BIOS and load Default settings. Save Default settings. Go to your DRAM speed and set it to 800Mhz and DRAM voltage to 2.1v.

Voltage and speed is not settable on XPS 420 motherboard, system uses only SPD data.

And why should I use 2.1v ? Corsair Datasheet (http://www.corsair.com/products/go.aspx?pn=TWIN2X4096-6400C5) states that those modules have been validated at 1.9v when using standard timings. That's the main reason (guaranteed to work without using high voltage) why I have selected Corsair modules for my system upgrade.

Save settings (not default again) and reboot. You will then have your system set back to default and set your DRAM to 800Mhz to deal with the four DRAM slot population which is a far different situation than populating with a single kit.

There are only *two* modules (2x2GB KIT)

Ntune? On an Intel Intel X38 Chipset?
My mistake. Wrong board. I thought you were using the 780i Dell XPS board.

Your Voltage and Speed is not settable?

Have you tried a hard reset of your system? Do you have four DRAM slots on your board. A hard reset and a switch of the modules to Slot 2 and 4 may be beneficial.

Perform a hard reset to clear any BIOS stack corruption issues.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove the power cord
  3. Remove the CMOS Battery
  4. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  5. Press the power button for 10 seconds
  6. Let sit for 10 minutes
  7. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  8. Insert the CMOS Battery
  9. Insert the Power Cord

Insert a single stick of the twin2x4096-6400c5 DRAM module in the second slot.

Restart, gain boot, shut down, insert the second DRAM module in the fourth slot.

Restart

My mistake. Wrong board. I thought you were using the 780i Dell XPS board.

Your Voltage and Speed is not settable?

No, it's often the case one manufacturers systems (Dell, Hp, etc..) except for High End, gamers oriented series.

Have you tried a hard reset of your system? Do you have four DRAM slots on your board. A hard reset and a switch of the modules to Slot 2 and 4 may be beneficial.

(Switching slots is a good idea)

I really appreciate you support but don't forget that my memory problems are appearing only when the PC has been given sufficient time to cool down.

The sequence of operations you are describing require to wait for the system to be cooled between each reboots to be really sure that everything has been fixed up (between 1/4 and probably at least 1/2 hour I imagine).

So, for that and different others reasons, I do not really enjoy starting all those tests now :

• my Corsair support request has already triggered an RMA, so further testing appears to be useless.
  • the week-end has ended and do not have so much time during the week
  • my PC is again running with my original modules.

And please notice that ly post was more specifically targeted against the change on the memory configurator answer since I've first used it, two weeks ago.

If I was completely paranoid, I could make a link between my support request and the suppression of my memory part number of the results, just one day later. But I'm not :roll:

As mentioned, the only difference between the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX and TWIN2X4096-6400C5 (without the DHX) is the DHX (Direct Heatpath EXchange. ie the form factor.

DHX

http://www.centralcomputers.com/objects/catalog/product/image/img54750.jpg

Non DHX

http://www.extremepc.co.nz/images/CORSAIR4GB.jpg

If the model and version are the same, excluding the form factor (DHX, DHXF, et.) then the IC's are the same and compatibility will be identical.

Please let us know how the RMA goes and the system reaction to the new DRAM.

If the model and version are the same, excluding the form factor (DHX, DHXF, et.) then the IC's are the same and compatibility will be identical.

Please let us know how the RMA goes and the system reaction to the new DRAM.

... and so there is absolutely no reason why one part could be validated as compatible with my system and the other not.

And this does'nt explains the differents response of the configurator at two weeks interval

... and so there is absolutely no reason why one part could be validated as compatible with my system and the other not.

Correct.

And this does'nt explains the differents response of the configurator at two weeks interval

Nothing is perfect in an electronic world and possibly one part was removed via electronic enumeration or a plethora of other possibilities. You can contact Corsair if you wish to further this questioning and do so in real time.

T: +1 510-657-8747

F: +1 510-657-8748

Toll Free: +1 888-222-4346

• 3 weeks later...
Nothing is perfect in an electronic world and possibly one part was removed via electronic enumeration or a plethora of other possibilities. You can contact Corsair if you wish to further this questioning and do so in real time.

I'm really beginning loose faith in Corsair configurator.

The results have again changed, :confused:

Here's the results now:

Part Number	Size	 
CGM2X2G800	2GB	
VS2GB667D2	2GB	
VS2GBKIT667D2	2GB Kit (2 x 1GB)	
VS1GB667D2	1GB	
VS512MB667D2	512MB

• No 2*2 GB Kit anymore,
  • the only compatible PC6400 module can be found at a totally crazy price in france ( 156,58 € :eek: )

--

CR

Archived