Corsair Community

Mixing TWIN2X2048-6400PRO with other model?

Rolly_

Hi folks,

I have 2 modules installed of this RAM. I have 2 banks free on my motherboard, and I'd like to fill them with 2 new 1GB sticks, for a grand total of 4GB.

since the CM2X1024-6400PRO seems to be out of production, I would like to know how risky it would be to mix my current memory with a different Corsair model. And which memory would be the best choice? I understand it's probably not recommended to mix-and-match like this, but I'm willing to take a chance.

Thanks!

Hello DerekT:

My 2 memory sticks are marked "XMS6405v1.3", is that the version number you were asking for?

The link you pasted is bad, but I think you were trying to show me this one. In that thread you advise the person against upgrading from 2->4GB, because overclocking is needed to run 4 banks @ 1066.

In a possible 4xPC6400 configuration on my motherboard, will I have to drop down to PC5300? How big an impact would you guess this reduction in DRAM speed would have on a dedicated x264 encoding workload?

Regards,

David

Very likely < 5% difference. Most of the work is done in the CPU and you are still running > 1:1 with PC5300 settings.

Here's an issue. You have Micron IC's in those modules and they often do not play nice with other fabrications. You might not make a fit no matter what.

CM2X1024-6400PRO

........................XMS640X v1.X...MICRON.......64Mx8...Rev.A

There's definitely no guarantee. At least they are revision A which stands a better chance mixing and matching than revision D.

Note the IC level of 64Mx8. You can not mix and match those with 128Mx8 so do not purchase any 2GB modules.

Hello DerekT:

My 2 memory sticks are marked "XMS6405v1.3", is that the version number you were asking for?

The link you pasted is bad, but I think you were trying to show me this one. In that thread you advise the person against upgrading from 2->4GB, because overclocking is needed to run 4 banks @ 1066.

In a possible 4xPC6400 configuration on my motherboard, will I have to drop down to PC5300? How big an impact would you guess this reduction in DRAM speed would have on a dedicated x264 encoding workload?

Regards,

David

Thanks a lot for the information. There aren't many modules in the DDR II IC thread that only have been fabricated with Micron ICs. Searching online stores for the following might be my best choice, would you agree?

CM2XP1024-6400

CM2X1024-6400C3

CM2X1024-6400C3DF

And out of curiosity, what IC brands _do_ play well with others?

• Corsair Employee

And out of curiosity, what IC brands _do_ play well with others?

There are no specific brands that are guaranteed or even more likely to mix with others. This is why we do not recommend mixing different revisions of memory.

Archived