Corsair Community

GA -E7AUM-DS2h and TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF?

chrillan

Hi.

Q: can I use 8500 "down clocked" to 800 in my new system?

I have just ordered a new gigabyte mobo for my HTPC (GA -E7AUM-DS2h) and a intel 3ghz 1333. The motherboard supports DDR2 800. I happened to order some other modules and I just noticed that its 1066 (TWIN2X8500C5DF 4096MB). Will they work and what settings should I use ("down clock"?) or should I cancel the order and use some other modules for better performance? Is there any pros to using 8500 modules?

I really tried to read in the forum, but I guess that my knowledge in this area is somewhat limited. :-)

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest asking the MB maker this question! Or search for it on http://www.pricewatch.com or http://www.pricegrabber.com.

Sorry! I've been doing the searches since it was announced. If chrillan has been able to order this motherboard already, he's well ahead of the information from Gigabyte. (Perhaps he's in Europe - it seems to have shown up on web sites there, but it's not clear if it's really shipping anywhere yet.)

I've been assembling all the bits to make my HTPC over several months, including my 2 sets of CM2X1024-6400C4. (Which I hope will work with this mobo....) Each motherboard I've thought I wanted has been delayed, usually until the "next big thing" is supposed to be released. And then the "next big thing" gets delayed... I apologize if my exuberance took me off topic...

Yes, I'm in Europe. I ordered it online from a scandinavian webshop. I called them and I am supposed to get it on monday already -so they claim.

Have I bought the wrong modules? Can't I use them at lower clock-speeds?

The link above is correct. You can download a memory compatibility chart, but corsair is not listed. Sorry, but my knowledge in memory modules is quite limited. :)

Perhaps this is a better question: Can I use 1066 memory as 800 memory?

Yes, I'm in Europe. I ordered it online from a scandinavian webshop. I called them and I am supposed to get it on monday already -so they claim.

Have I bought the wrong modules? Can't I use them at lower clock-speeds?

The link above is correct, it also have a memory compatibility chart, but corsair is not listed. Sorry, but my knowledge in memory modules is quite limited. :)

That board is so new that it has yet to be released in the North America and has not yet been tested.

You can try them, it won't hurt. Just set them to 800Mhz with 5-5-5-15 2T and 2.1v. I think they will work fine, but you can't be guaranteed with a non tested board.

My knowledge is limited, too. I see that those Corsair modules are not on the supported list. How significant this is, I don't really know. I also don't know if the list will expand over time. They do indicate that the "supported" 1066, 1150, and 1200 modules run "downgraded" to 800.

Other motherboards with other chipsets often support higher speeds. In some cases, the chipset doesn't officially support it, but the motherboard maker does. (See the Intel G45 boards.)

Also, I have seen mention on other forums that certain motherboards (perhaps those of a particular brand) are notorious for poor memory support - they are less tolerant of "non-supported" modules and/or frequently misread the SPD information. Gigabyte was mentioned as being better in that regard. Of course this was a random internet forum, so perhaps it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Brett

My knowledge is limited, too. I see that those Corsair modules are not on the supported list. How significant this is, I don't really know. I also don't know if the list will expand over time. They do indicate that the "supported" 1066, 1150, and 1200 modules run "downgraded" to 800.

Other motherboards with other chipsets often support higher speeds. In some cases, the chipset doesn't officially support it, but the motherboard maker does. (See the Intel G45 boards.)

This is why I said to give it a try. I think you will be fine, but you need to try it to find out.

Thank you for the input, I'll definately give them a try. :)

I guess that I have some O/C-slack with them if I decide to try that also.

Last time I built a system, the ram had to match the FSB and multiplier, I guess that I have some catching up to do. :)

Here is a little intro to the new nvidia chipset. I wanted to wait for a dd3-version. My theory is that since the gfx shares memory it will give it a boost, but I'm to impatient. :)

Again, tnx for the input guys. I'll give you an update when the stuff arrives.

And here is some additional info on the gigabyte version. It's the same info that can be found on loads of sites.

"The GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H supports the powerful and energy efficient Intel multi-core processors up to FSB 1333MHz, including the latest Intel 45nm processors and also offer support for high speed DDR2 800 memory, making them the highest value Microsoft® Window Vista™ Premium capable motherboards available. Utilizing a 4 power phase design featuring GIGABYTE’s unique Ultra Durable 2 technology, users are ensured maximum upgradability through its future-proof design and longer system durability."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived