Corsair Community

TW3X4G1600C9DHX on XFX 790i Ultra SLI

Scorce

Hi

I am running TW3X4G1600C9DHX on my XFX 790i motherboard and i keep getting complete lock ups in games or just browsing in windows.

I've tried turning the volt to 1.8 with no help, then the ram latency to 9-9-9-24 and i've been trying to change the clock speed with no luck.

I don't really know that much about system BIOS and would like some help, currently i'm afraid to touch anymore in BIOS.

Hi,

1. Do classic memtest testing (let's say 3 passes). Read e.g. here how to use it http://www.cpusolutions.com/mm8004744CPU/HTML/Guides/memtest86.htm

2. If memtest is ok, try to play with linux or so.

3. If linux is ok, remove completely nvidia drivers and play with pc for a while (probably not games, but some work).

4. Install only drivers for gr. card and play with the system

In my opinion it is bad settings of memory or drivers. You can skip the linux part.

I just buildt this PC, brand new on monday.

I couldn't run vista install properly untill i set the volt to 1.8.

But my system keeps freezing and i have to hold down the power button to get it turned off.

I've been trying to fix this all week by looking at forums and trying to switch to what they've been told to try and can't really seem to get it fixed.

I just buildt this PC, brand new on monday.

I couldn't run vista install properly untill i set the volt to 1.8.

But my system keeps freezing and i have to hold down the power button to get it turned off.

I've been trying to fix this all week by looking at forums and trying to switch to what they've been told to try and can't really seem to get it fixed.

go in safe mode and do a system restore you wont lose anything he will find the last time it was stable try that....790i boards are buggy and glitchy very well known......

I went and turned the volt up to 1.825 and ran a memtest. it passed 3 checks, ran for about 3 hours.

system seems to be stable, i've actually played a game for more than 1 hour now=) i'll report back if it still freezes up later.

Thanks for you help=)

• 3 weeks later...
I'm runing the TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX corsair ram and the 790i ultra board and i'm having the same problem it freezes on vista 64bit install every time. I went and purchased a Intel DX38BT X38 Socket 775 Motherboard and it works fine with the ram. I'm at my wits end with the 790i, and xfx suport is less than useless. I even tried a rma with xfx and got a new board and still freezing.

I'm runing the TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX corsair ram and the 790i ultra board and i'm having the same problem it freezes on vista 64bit install every time. I went and purchased a Intel DX38BT X38 Socket 775 Motherboard and it works fine with the ram. I'm at my wits end with the 790i, and xfx suport is less than useless. I even tried a rma with xfx and got a new board and still freezing.

I feel for you. Can you send the board back and go with an Intel chipset based mainboard?

Nvidia has stopped making chipsets. They have licensed Intel's X58 for i7 and have traded SLi technology for the trade. If not then another RMA might be the route to go. Hopefully sooner or later you will get a working board.

I do not want to be unpolite, but most of the problems are caused by the user.

Vista 64 is not example of the finest os ...

This is not so, although user error is a significant factor. I am a systems integrator and the returns on Nvidia chipsets are far higher than the returns on Intel Chipsets. In other words, given the i965, P35, P45, X38, X48 (Intel Chipsets). Any single one of them has far less return rates in a given standard population chip for chip.

The massive return rate and issues with Nvidia chipset has Nvidia trading their SLi license for the ability to use Intel chipsets. Do you think Nvidia would just forgo their chipsets if they were not at issue. 790i has more returns than 680i and you know the issues that 680i (SATA, RAID, Memory Controller) etc. had?

My advice to anyone is to purchase Intel chipset based motherboards for Intel CPU's. It's a far smoother build and transition.

• 8 months later...
If you have any problem try it at 1.9 Volts but it sounds like you have it under control!

I've been using this kit for like 4 months now, And i faced the same problems and everything based on my little short life of OC'ing the best timings and voltages to be run on this mobo are:

9-9-9-24 2T @ 1.8v

set tRc to 35 and all the rest to auto

raise the NB to 1.45v SB to 1.65v

And FSB to 1.35v and its been stable for the last 2 months with 0 freezes i recommend you test these settings and if it passes all your tests then make a sticky with them and those worked with only 2 sticks in the black DIMMs (1,3) never tested it with 2,4.

Hope that helps

Archived