Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 and 4 sticks of memory?

proxyl

Hi,

I've bought this motherboard and put these 2x1GB Corsair memory modules in slots 1 and 3 as advised to run on dual channel. Thinking of wanting to use the maximum available RAM amount allowed on this motherboard I bought exactly the same 2x1GB RAM again but the computer will not boot up. Do I need to change the ram settings in the BIOS (currently F7) to make this work? Actually I just read that this memory is better for a Nvidia SLI set up but I am using an ATI HD4870XT (watercooled) in single set up. Do I need to manually slow the speed for the memory down. I put down quite some money on the table for this memory and find that the 2nd set is not allowing the computer to boot. Any suggestions anybody?

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

I personally advise for a two stick solution as it is far gentler to the motherboard memory controller. That being said, let's see if we can help you get a stable system.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of DRAM in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) Shut your system down. Restart and enter your BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before. Set to these values:

MIB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)
CPU Clock Ratio = 8.5
CPU Host Clock Control = Manual
CPU Host Frequency = 333Mhz
PCI Express Frequency = 100Mhz
C.I.A.2 = Disabled
Performance Enhance =  Normal
System Memory Multiplier = 3
DRAM Timing Selectable = Manual
CAS Latency Time = 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5
RAS# Precharge = 5
Precharge Delay (tRAS) = 15
ACT to ACT delay = Auto
Bank Write To READ Delay = Auto
Refresh to ACT Delay = 0
Read to Precharge Delay = Auto
Memory Performance Enhance = Normal
Dimm OverVoltage Control = +.3V
PCI-e OverVoltage Control = Normal
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control = +.3v
CPU Voltage Control = Auto
Robust Graphics Booster = Auto

Shut the system down. Insert the second stick of DRAM in Slot 3. Restart and boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Archived