Corsair Community

Bad Ram? - Any other tests useful?

chman

I had purchased and installed 2 pack of TW3X4G1600C9DHX (4 chips/8GB total) into my EVGA 790i Ultra SLI motherboard (Intel QX9650). Set the memory in the bios to 9,9,9,24@1.8 volts. All other settings are bios defaults. After a couple of days, I began to have issues with hanging and then my machine would fail to boot (not even get to the POST process). At the suggestion of EVGA support, I removed all the memory and reinstalled one chip in slot 4. I was then able to boot into bios and reset the memory settings to 9,9,9,24@1.8 volts. I then ran (or tried to) memtest against each of the 4 sticks in slot 1. 2 chips ran fine (I let them go for 6 passes). The 3rd chip would not boot (couldn't get to post) and the 4th chip would boot but would start throwing memtest errors about 1/2 way through the first pass. I put the 2 good chips in slots 1 and 3 and ran memtest for 6 passes with no errors. This said to me that one of the pairs of memory was bad. Support wanted me to try in another system, but I don't have another that supports ddr3..any other tests that I could possibly run?

Thanks...I had put in an RMA request last week and they had replied asking me to try on another Motherboard. I replied to their request last Friday with the same info as above, haven't heard back yet from them. I can add that I've already spoken to the ram-guy!!

Archived