Corsair Community

Pentium D 965 & TWIN2X2048-6400C4 issues

Ltljohn

I've been running this system for over a year with a Pentium D 805 and two sets of TWIN2X2048-6400C4, versions 1.2 and 2.1 without any problems. I was able to clock the 805 all over the chart using both Abit's uGuru utility and bios settings. I recently acquired a Pentium D 965 Extreme (no Conroe support on AW8D). My previously swiss-watch reliable system is now possessed. I've removed the uGuru utility from the system and am sticking with bios settings ony. I've tried what seems like every combination of settings with no luck and my patience has finally worn out. The final straw was when I spilled coffee on my notes at 2 AM last night, rendering them unreadable. I appeal to the wise sages of all things RAM for help. Does someone know what mystical combination will make my system work?

I've put both sets of memory through memtest and everything seems OK there. The problem I'm experiencing is random crashes. For no obvious reason, the system will reboot when gaming, surfing, doing random tasks and simply sitting idle. I've removed the v2.1 memory set for the time being, but the end result is the same. Help me.......please.

• Corsair Employee

I would check with ABIT to make sure that the CPU you are using is supported they have not had a BIOS update since 2006 with that MB and the CPU you have just came out about 6 months ago.

And with 4 modules the memory frequency should be set to DDR667 or DDR533 depending on the CPU FSB.

And when you changed the CPU Did you load setup defaults and set the tested settings of the modules in this case DDR667 at 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH Voltage to 1.45 Volts?

I checked with Abit and according to them, this CPU has been tested and approved with bios 12, which is what I'm running. I can only guess that since they stiffed us on Conroe support, they figured they better make sure it's happy with this CPU. The CPU's FSB is 1066.

I placed both sets of RAM into the system and then went back to the bios and reset it to default. I then set the RAM to DDR667, 2.1v. The bios' lowest NB/MCH voltage setting is 1.5v so I left that alone. The RAM defaulted to 5-5-5-15. I left that alone as well.

Everything posted and booted fine and is running smoothly. This is the frustrating part. The waiting. Many times before, it has worked beautifully only to randomly reboot for no apparent reason. Both with the system loaded as well as idle. So far, so good. I can't remember if while in my "got a new toy" haze I reset my bios. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. I don't know. DOH! If I didn't, perhaps this is where my problems arose from?

Any further ideas or suggestions from you or anyone else who might have experience with my equipment combination would be greatly appreciated. I'm striving for some happy "set it and forget it" settings. My days of crawling around inside my system just because I'm bored ended with my last "window and neon lights" set-up. I've gotten used to a fast, quite black box. Maybe I'm getting old.

Thanks for the help so far.

Of course, shortly after I posted, the computer rebooted. Went to the bios and set the N/B strap to CPU, which is 1066 and set the RAM to DDR533. This places the FSB:DRAM ratio to 1:1. CPUID now tells me that my RAM is operating at 4-4-4-12 at 1:1. I left everything else as you had previously suggested. Is this what I want? I would think that a 1:1 ratio and stock low latency timings would be ideal. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Once again everything appears to be running fine. Only time will tell.

I would think a 1:1 ratio is better with that older CPU. There's a lot of cache on that chip and a smooth handshake is better than a far faster DRAM speed than CPU speed.

Of course, shortly after I posted, the computer rebooted. Went to the bios and set the N/B strap to CPU, which is 1066 and set the RAM to DDR533. This places the FSB:DRAM ratio to 1:1. CPUID now tells me that my RAM is operating at 4-4-4-12 at 1:1. I left everything else as you had previously suggested. Is this what I want? I would think that a 1:1 ratio and stock low latency timings would be ideal. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Once again everything appears to be running fine. Only time will tell.

Ah, more input. Thank you.

I awoke this morning to the dulcet tones of the Windows boot sounds. Great way to start the morning. I have no idea if it was the first or the fifth reboot of the night. Argh! Back to the grindstone.

I referred to Everest in order to see what was actually happening and stumbled upon this:

[ DIMM1: Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400C4 ]

Memory Module Properties:

Module Name Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400C4

Serial Number None

Module Size 1 GB (2 ranks, 4 banks)

Module Type Unbuffered DIMM

Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM

Memory Speed DDR2-800 (400 MHz)

Module Width 64 bit

Module Voltage SSTL 1.8

Error Detection Method None

Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:

@ 400 MHz 5-5-5-18 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 22-30-3-6-3-3 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

@ 270 MHz 4-4-4-13 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 15-21-3-5-3-3 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

Enhanced Performance Profile:

Profile Name High Performance

Optimal Performance Profile Yes

Voltage 2.0 V

Memory Timings 4-4-4-12 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Row Cycle Time (tRC) 22T

Command Rate (CR) 2T

Write Recovery Time (tWR) 6T

Profile Name High Frequency

Optimal Performance Profile No

Memory Speed DDR2-1066 (533 MHz)

Voltage 2.2 V

Memory Timings 5-5-5-15 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Row Cycle Time (tRC) 29T

Command Rate (CR) 2T

Write Recovery Time (tWR) 8T

[ DIMM2: Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400C4 ]

Memory Module Properties:

Module Name Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400C4

Serial Number None

Manufacture Date Week 23 / 2006

Module Size 1 GB (2 ranks, 4 banks)

Module Type Unbuffered DIMM

Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM

Module Width 64 bit

Module Voltage SSTL 1.8

Error Detection Method None

Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:

@ 400 MHz 5-5-5-18 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 22-42-3-6-3-3 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

@ 270 MHz 4-4-4-13 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 15-29-3-5-3-3 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

Profile Name High Performance

Optimal Performance Profile Yes

Voltage 2.1 V

Memory Timings 4-4-4-12 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Row Cycle Time (tRC) 22T

Command Rate (CR) 2T

Write Recovery Time (tWR) 6T

(Sorry about the run together cut-and-paste. Not my strong suit.)

Dimm 1 & 3 are populated with v1.2, 2 & 4 v2.1. Obviously different bits of silicon residing on these two kits in spite of the same model number.

When I used the suggested settings yesterday, the system defaulted to 4-4-4-12 and I had left it alone. I then ran multiple applications, did a bit of gaming, etc. No problems whatsoever. Smooth sailing, or so I thought. It definitely rebooted at least once. I noticed that the v1.2 has an EPP named "High Frequency" that the v2.1 sticks are lacking. It suggests 2.2v and 5-5-5-15 timings. Maybe this is the final step?

Once again, thanks for the responses and assistance.

I changed the settings to DDR667, 2.1v, 5-5-5-15. The system stayed up for a record 9 hours. We may be on to something here.

DerekT

You mentioned that the micron ICs "don't play well with others". How frustrating. When I built this machine two years ago, I went with the idea of future upgradeability. Of course that all changed when intel decided to change the voltage requirements for the upcoming Conroe. I suppose you could call my 965 Extreme a "poor man's quad". One thing I do remember was that the Micron D9 ICs were the "holy grail" and I was delighted when I found out that's what resided on the Corsair sticks. They lived up to their reputation with my wonderfully flexible 805 CPU. I got the additional Corsair kit last fall and though there were a few headaches to start with, everything eventually fell into place nicely. Is it possible that the incompatibility of the Micron based sticks are the final key to my systems stability? If this is the case, do you have any suggestions on who should stay and who should go? (The DRAM "Survivor" episode). If one set should depart, any suggestions on a replacement? I do a lot of intensive audio processing and I can use all the ram I can get.

When I built this machine two years ago, I went with the idea of future upgradeability.

This idea is fraught with frustration and issues and is not a good idea. My advice is for you to sell your 4 X 1024 and purchase 2 X 2048 of 8500's and you will then be able to run your system at 1066MHz. The issue is not the DRAM, the issue is that the on motherboard (Intel) or on CPU (AMD) memory controller can not load and access a four DRAM slot population as fast as it can with a two DRAM slot population. This issue applies to both AMD and Intel and is a function of the memory controller, not the DRAM.

Please research this thread as it will answer many of your questions and I will not have to repeat them :)

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

Please research this thread as it will answer many of your questions and I will not have to repeat them :)

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

Thank you for the very enlightening post. You very obviously know your $#!*. It's starting to make more sense. I feel like such a hack.

By using two 2gb sticks rated at 1066, I would be killing two birds with one stone. It would eliminate the four dimm population problems with the MCH as well as allowing the CPU:DRAM to run at 1:1. Essentially, I'm asking it to do something that it wasn't designed to do. My current setup will be forever plagued with stability issues no matter how much fiddling I do with the numbers due to MCH addressing issues. I guess I've been lucky to achieve the stability (if you can call it that) I've gotten so far.

Unfortunately this would take me out of the Corsair market. It appears that they are not offering anything in the way of a 4gb 1066 DDR2 kit. Only DDR3. Very frustrating since I've grown to rely on Corsair as the last word in high quality memory and great customer service. Bummer.

In the mean time, I'm assuming my best option is to free up two DIMMs and just run one kit. Thereby allowing the MCH to operate in the way it was meant to. Any suggestions as to which kit I should use? The 1.2 or the 2.1? I still have this image in my head of the Micron D9 ICs as being very "sexy" chips. Any suggestion regarding base setting starting points would also be a great help. My head is so muddy with numbers right now that my brain is starting to hurt. You've consistently given me great advice and I value your opinion.

BTW. Know anyone looking for a good deal on two sets of TWIN2X2048-6400C4? And maybe an early production "loose" Pentium D 805 straight from the home of the "bunny suits"?

Yeah, my brain really is starting to hurt. And now my wallet is sending sympathy pains. Great.

OOPS! Just opened my eyes and realized that Corsair does offer a 4gb DDR2 1066 kit. TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF. My mistake. I guess I need to start saving pennies or find the proper "horse trader". My head and wallet still hurt.

I would use the version 1.xx Microns. Micron is not making them anymore but they are fine DRAM ICs. I moved to the PSC 2GB ICs on my server TWIN2X4096-8500C5 modules and am very happy with them. I believe that Corsair is still selling them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145197

I have had no issues with running them at 1150Mhz with 5-5-5-15 at 2.1v

You should be able to get the same on the Micron 1GB strips. I'm sorry, but I really don't run anything with 6400's. I just bought a set of Twin2X4096-9136DHX and will be testing them tomorrow. I'm hoping to make 1200Mhz out of them.

Thank you for the very enlightening post. You very obviously know your $#!*. It's starting to make more sense. I feel like such a hack.

By using two 2gb sticks rated at 1066, I would be killing two birds with one stone. It would eliminate the four dimm population problems with the MCH as well as allowing the CPU:DRAM to run at 1:1. Essentially, I'm asking it to do something that it wasn't designed to do. My current setup will be forever plagued with stability issues no matter how much fiddling I do with the numbers due to MCH addressing issues. I guess I've been lucky to achieve the stability (if you can call it that) I've gotten so far.

Unfortunately this would take me out of the Corsair market. It appears that they are not offering anything in the way of a 4gb 1066 DDR2 kit. Only DDR3. Very frustrating since I've grown to rely on Corsair as the last word in high quality memory and great customer service. Bummer.

In the mean time, I'm assuming my best option is to free up two DIMMs and just run one kit. Thereby allowing the MCH to operate in the way it was meant to. Any suggestions as to which kit I should use? The 1.2 or the 2.1? I still have this image in my head of the Micron D9 ICs as being very "sexy" chips. Any suggestion regarding base setting starting points would also be a great help. My head is so muddy with numbers right now that my brain is starting to hurt. You've consistently given me great advice and I value your opinion.

BTW. Know anyone looking for a good deal on two sets of TWIN2X2048-6400C4? And maybe an early production "loose" Pentium D 805 straight from the home of the "bunny suits"?

Yeah, my brain really is starting to hurt. And now my wallet is sending sympathy pains. Great.

DerekT

Thanks for all of your help. I'm switching back to my v1.2. My Pro Tools and Audition software will not be happy, but at least I don't have to worry about crashing mid-mix. Regarding your new RAM purchase: I have all the faith in the world that you will reach your goal. Like I said, you obviously know what you're doing. Thanks for helping us amateurs.

Archived