Corsair Community

Asus Striker II Formula with 2 sets of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D

JohnnyC

Okay... so I have 4 sticks total in there.

At this point I seriously wish I would have gotten the 2x2gb sticks instead but I don't remember seeing them when I bought them.

I also wish there was some way I could exchange both my sets of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D for one set of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF (or if there was some kind of 'buy-back' program or something I could use to switch these out...

Barring any kind of super awesome Corsair intervention for a long time customer (*nudge*nudge*), what can I do to help get this ram stable on my motherboard?

I spent so much money on this ram because I wanted to buy the best I could put in my system... and I know I'm going to hear that I have to tune it down to almost half the speed of what I wanted to get out of it... but never the less... I could use some advice about how to properly tune this ram to get the most out of it I can.

ugh... just so disappointed in this purchase and the company I bought it through (buy.com) doesn't allow me to return it... otherwise I would shut this thing down, mail those sticks back and get the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF immediately so I could take advantage of this powerful (yet now slightly gimped) system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also... could you also include the settings I should use if I were to pull two of the sticks out and go with only two if that means I'll end up with better performance than running all four sticks?

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules DDR800 would be suggested and you should set the timings manually to Cas 5-5-5-15 at 2.1 Volts and set the memory frequency at DDR800 and set the Command Rate to 2T and I would set the NB/SPP Voltage to 1.45 Volts as well.

It runs with all four installed and with it set to 2.20v on the memory it seems mostly stable. I haven't run memtest for any real length of time yet.

I had been getting "UPDT DMI" almost all the time from it, but since I've updated to bios 1101, I haven't seen that message pop up. That doesn't mean I won't, I just haven't seen it since I updated the bios.

This means that the board is Updating the DMI (Desktop Management Interface) Pool data. Does this happen when you have two sticks of DRAM installed? Have you entered BIOS, loaded setup defaults, saved setup defaults and restarted?

• Corsair Employee
There is nothing wrong with getting that message it is just detecting some change in the BIOS or system configuration. IE you will get that if you make any change to the system. Add or remove a flash drive or some other type of removable component if you update the BIOS/Firmware on your MB or Video card or any other device in your system that uses firmware to control its function.

Archived