Corsair Community

New VX550 has low,constrant buzzing noise

Serj

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the quick response!

(Does EVERYTHING go back - including power cord, etc.? Stickies in other subforums didn't seem to mention that, unless I missed it)

You only need to send the actual PSU, you can hang on to all of the modular cables, as well as the main power cord.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You only need to send the actual PSU, you can hang on to all of the modular cables, as well as the main power cord.

Ahh... well, since I was racing to get it packed up and out to the nearest FedEx/Kinkos before the last pickup of the day, I went ahead and packed everything that originally came in the PSU box - with the exception of the power cord.

I did put a note inside the package (but outside the Corsair VX550 box) that I had included everything but the power cord - pouch, screws, zip ties, case badge, manual, etc...

(My wiring is such that getting the power cord loose would have taken longer than yanking the PS out of my computer did :P )

NTNgod, Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

serj, How loud is the noise you are hearing, from how far away from the PSU can you hear the noise? If you would like to try to get one directly from us, please fill out the form above, and give our customer service a call at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com. Let them know that you have replaced the unit before and they should be able to work with you to get it replaced.

It isn't that loud, but it is annoying once you hear it, sounds like a fly buzzing in there (1 thing is for sure, it isn't silent like my hx620).

unfortunately I can't wait any longer, I mean out of 4 tries from 2 different etailer/retailer it didn't make a difference, they all have the fan noise problem and I'm sure your replacement will have it too. I had all my components since february 12th and have been playing rma with the PSU. For now I had no choice but to use it in my system, I just hope the noise doesn't get worst or indirectly cause power problems. One thing is for sure, I won't buy anything besides the hx620 from corsair, and I will not be recommending the VX550 to anyone looking for a silent unit (sorry but you dropped the ball on these)

if my system fans are set to low, I hear it sitting down on my chair(and the PC is under the desk)

if the system fans are set to high, i have to be pretty close to notice the specific buzz noise

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question - I realize you can't check RMAs anymore, from what I gather from other posts, but what's a general, ballpark type estimate of how long it takes to process a power supply?

This isn't an "angry" type query, but I was just wondering in general.

In my case, FedEx delivered my PS on March 24th and I got the "parts recieved" email on the 26th, but that's the last I've heard.

If it does take a week or two for power supplies, I understand. I'm using my older CWT-made PS currently, so it's not the end of the world if it does take some more time until it gets turned around, as I do have something I can use (but not as nice :sunglasse ) in the interim.

• Corsair Employee
Normally it should be 5-7 business day turn around. If you have not received any messages since the 26th, then give us a call and we can let you know the status. You can contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0" or (510) 657-8747.

Normally it should be 5-7 business day turn around. If you have not received any messages since the 26th, then give us a call and we can let you know the status. You can contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0" or (510) 657-8747.

I got a "shipped" email later that day, and received the PSU on Friday. Thanks!

The fan in the replacement is a bit quieter than the initial PSU, although it appears I'll have to do some modding/swapping to make it quiet. After two of them, it just appears this model's too loud stock for my tastes - but that's something I can take care of my own.

Most importantly, I do appreciate the quick assistance, so thank you!

I bought a VX550 from Buy.com, hoping I would be one of the lucky ones, but testing it new out of the box with the paperclip trick and an 80mm fan yielded a constant low buzz when within 2 feet of the supply. What is considered "normal" for this model's sound? I was pretty sure all my previous non-Corsair power supplies were silent, but now I'm starting to wonder if I'm hearing things after reading threads on the topic...

Edit: Before I forget- Yes, I tried loosening the fan screws and gently re-tightening them. Yes, plugged directly into a wall with fairly clean power. Also, I noticed that the buzzing starts at low fan speed while spinning up when power is first applied, but it disappears when powering off the unit while the fan is still spinning at a higher speed. Preventing the fan from spinning up also doesn't yield any noise.

I bought a VX550 from Buy.com, hoping I would be one of the lucky ones, but testing it new out of the box with the paperclip trick and an 80mm fan yielded a constant low buzz when within 2 feet of the supply. What is considered "normal" for this model's sound?

From the two I've had (the one from Buy.com and the other straight from Corsair), I've noticed both fans have something of a ticking signature, although it wasn't the same volume on both.

If you haven't installed the PSU inside your case yet, it's quite possible that you'll have other things like video card fans/loud HDDs/etc that'll drown out the noise of the PSU (you didn't list your PC setup, so I can't see what other components your system has). In your average system, there's likely to be a couple of other things louder than the PSU.

I'm rather satisfied with the build quality, the feature set, the support, and the competitive pricing of this particular model, but from my small sample of two units, I personally wouldn't call it a quiet PSU, if silence is high on your list. It's always something, right? :P

However, I *WOULD* try it inside your case first before figuring out what to do next (RMA, fan swap, etc) - it is quite possible that the reason you didn't hear your prior PSUs is because there's something else louder in your system.

• Corsair Employee
However, I *WOULD* try it inside your case first before figuring out what to do next (RMA, fan swap, etc) - it is quite possible that the reason you didn't hear your prior PSUs is because there's something else louder in your system.

I would agree. Also, sometimes the noise will go away when you put a load on the PSU. If you can hear the PSU over the rest of your system under normal use, then we would have no problem replacing it for you.

My VX550 also makes the buzzing noise.

I took the PSU out of my case and removed the fan grill to check it further. It only makes the buzzing sound when the PSU is actually powered on, and it's definitely coming from the fan.

As soon as I cut power, the buzzing stops.

Even though the fan is still spinning (Though, slowing down obviously)...

I won't bother to RMA it since it seems like 99% of these 550VX's have this problem. I won't bother buying another Corsair PSU until they decide to start using quality fans. And apparently none of the reviewer websites have ever had a problem with buzzing, since none of them mention it. Yet these forums are covered in buzzing/clicking threads.

I'll have to run my 8800 at 100% fan speed to cover up the clicking.

Although it seems weird to just cover up annoying noise with other noise. But the sound of air moving is better than the buzzing.

• Corsair Employee
Utopia, If you stop the fan while the PSU is running (use something non-conductive) does the noise go away? If not, then you are probably getting come coil buzz from either the PSU, or in some cases it can be caused by capacitors on the motherboard. Either way, if the PSU is causing a noise which is as loud as you describe it, we would like to try getting it replaced. If you decide to give it a try, then you can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

My VX550 also makes the buzzing noise.

I took the PSU out of my case and removed the fan grill to check it further. It only makes the buzzing sound when the PSU is actually powered on, and it's definitely coming from the fan.

When you had the fan grill off, did you try stopping the fan with the eraser end of a pencil, or something similar? If you haven't stopped the fan completely while the unit is powered up, it is still possible it's a buzz/whine unrelated to the fan, as mentioned.

If it is the fan, though, the curious thing is that the VX550 uses the same fans as the VX450/HX520/etc, and those Seasonic-made units generally seem to be quieter than the CWT-made VX550. One could think, then, the fan controller perhaps might be at fault somehow (since the fan is the same between models), yet the reports I've seen of fan swaps (which will void your warranty, alas) seem to solve the problem. Weird.

In retrospect, the lack of a SPCR review for the VX550 (when they've reviewed all the Seasonic-made units) should have been troubling.

Yeah I just powered off my PC, stuck my finger in the fan, and powered it on.

There was no buzzing, until I removed my finger, and then the buzzing started.

I may RMA the unit when I have time, or just void my warranty and fix the problem myself. Has anyone RMA'd a buzzing VX550 and actually gotten one back that didn't have the problem? I've seen several people go through two of these and still have the buzzing. I don't want to be without my PC for a week+ if I'm not confident it'll resolve the issue. I could open the PSU right now and put my own fan in there and solve the problem in five minutes.

The buzz is very, very low, and for loud systems you won't hear it.

If it's not the fan itself making the noise, then it's the sound of air blowing across something in the PSU making extra noise. If people have said replacing the fan fixes the problem, then it's obviously the fan. It may also be that clear plastic cover that's ontop of the fan (inside the PSU).

I may RMA the unit when I have time, or just void my warranty and fix the problem myself. Has anyone RMA'd a buzzing VX550 and actually gotten one back that didn't have the problem? I've seen several people go through two of these and still have the buzzing.

If you're still within your retailer's return/exchange window, to be honest, the easiest thing might be to think about exchanging it for a VX450/HX520/HX620/TX650 - in other words, one of the SeaSonic-made Corsair units.

If you're one of the unlucky ones where your system is quiet enough and your surroundings are quiet enough, *AND* you're picky enough about noise, it's either fan swap or frustration on this model, I've concluded :P

Even the rebranded Seasonic units use the same fan as the VX550... Right?

So if the fan is buzzing, I would assume the problem would be consistent across all of the units.

Yes, they do use the same ADDA fan.

The Seasonic-made units seem to be more highly regarded, though, among the silent set and seem to have fewer reports of the fan buzzing/noise, even among people who have little tolerance for noise. Granted, the new Enermax units are the darlings of the silent set these days, but the VX450/HX520/HX620 are still very well regarded.

Perhaps there's a difference elsewhere (in how the fan controller operates, or something CWT does differently - do the Seasonics have the fan shroud?)...

• Corsair Employee
Even the rebranded Seasonic units use the same fan as the VX550... Right?

So if the fan is buzzing, I would assume the problem would be consistent across all of the units.

Our PSUs are designed and built to our specifications by a 3rd party. None of our PSUs are simply re-branded versions of any other PSU on the market.

The HX, VX and TX PSUs which use the 120mm fans, all use the same fan as far as I know.

Hi

I just built my new system with VX550. I can hear a relatively quiet noise coming from the power supply. I'm quite sure it's the same noise that people observed in this thread. I don't use a case for this PC.

Noise-wise, I think it is acceptable. At first I was worried that the PSU might be somehow broken, but all the voltages seem stable and good, and there are no problems besides the noise.

I would define it as quiet, constant and rapid ticking. The words "PWM ticking" come in my mind from some SPCR review. Is the fan controlled with PWM or voltage?

My system draws very little power at the moment, and if it is "PWM ticking", I recall that it would get lesser when the RPM goes up. I'd just like to know if there is supposed to be "buzzing" or "ticking" noise with this PSU, because I wouldn't bother even thinking of replacing if this is a standard no-problems unit. It is the loudest noise in my system when I have two S-Flex E fans running 811RPM, mostly because it's different (ticking/buzzing instead of humming).

By the way, could someone at corsair try to record the noise that a standard VX550 makes in low load, close distance recording situation? That'd give me an idea about the noise character.

Our PSUs are designed and built to our specifications by a 3rd party. None of our PSUs are simply re-branded versions of any other PSU on the market.

Do your "specifications" include buzzing fans in $100 power supplies? I think Corsair should put a sticker/label on all the PSU's not being made by Seasonic that says "This PSU might be crappy" (I'm looking at you, CWT) that way the consumers know which ones to avoid. I think most people see the Corsair brand, and assume they're all made to the same quality. I know I did. I've since used Google (and these forums) to find out which ones to avoid. Not only that, but people elsewhere (when discussing Corsair PSU's) will specifically tell users which Corsair PSU's to not purchase, because they're not being made by Seasonic.

Considering the price premium on Corsair PSU's, I'm hugely disappointed that a problem this consistent still hasn't been addressed.

I'm going to send an RMA request to NewEgg and see if they'll let me send back the VX550 and pay the price difference for an HX620/650TX.

Hi, I want to say hello to everybody, because this is my first post on this forum.

I'm in process of getting a new power supply, and my current choices are 550vx or 450vx. But, I'm little bit concern about this "buzzing" noise, why this is happening? I can see that a few people complaint about this problem, and they replaced their units. Is there any explanation or have you(Corsair) tested these replaced units?

Archived