Corsair Community

Bad memory or motherboard?

quick90

Hi, a week ago I built a new computer. Ok so basically ever since I built it it freezes every few hours.

Half the time it seems it freezes during boot up. After the first black vista screen and the larger sized vista logo appears it freezes as the big logo starts to disappear and the sound of the logo just repeats on the note that it froze on. The other time it freezes is during the third and last vista loading screen the computer just completely freezes. Then if I do get into Vista (probably 2/3s of the time) it will freeze a around four hours of running orthos, or normally within an hour of playing a game. I ran memtest for three hours it found no errors.

BUT here is the kicker. I have physically tested the memory by removing one stick and running it on just the single stick. I have tried the memory in either slot neither makes a difference. One of the sticks appears to freeze most of the times during the vista boot (generally 2nd or 3rd loading screen) and if I do get into windows freezes generally fairly soon after playing a game like call of duty. The other stick normally doesnt freeze right away, but eventually freezes running orthos and has on occasion frozen during boot. So since both sticks freeze but one seems worse than the other, is it that both sticks are bad and one is worse? Or is it the memory controller on the mobo like the evga tech support person suggested. If I run both sticks the computer freezes around a mix between the two. Like half during boot half in windows.

Also I have done testing - the problem is not the hard drive, video card, or psu. It's either the mobo or memory (or slight chance processor but im pretty sure its not that).

What do you guys think is the problem!? lol

Thanks, Braden

EDIT: Forgot to add: if i turn off quick post in bios, when the power on self test is checking the memory (the first thing it checks) it goes through the 2 million or however many kilobtyes or whatever then when it gets to 2 million something the computer just resets.

• Corsair Employee
Have you tried booting into safe mode? I would suggest that you try to boot into safe mode, and if you can get into Windows, then run Orthos from safe mode. If the system passes memtest, I am hesitant to think there may be a hardware issue.

• Corsair Employee
it doesnt pass mobo memory test most of the time. im pretty positive its a hardware problem and two evga techs agreed with me lol.

You said that it passed memtest for 3 hours, which is why I am a bit hesitant, but if you would like to get the modules replaced, then please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Archived