Corsair Community

E6750, 2GB 1066 Ram, Gigabyte P35C DS3R OC Question

ripto

Hey guys, I recently received my new ram from corsair since I had to RMA the old pair. It is TWIN2X2048-PC8500C5D G, 2GB of 1066MHz. I've read up a lot on overclocking and I definitely had it in mind when building this computer:

Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz

2GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz PC2-8500

EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB

My question is (besides the fact that the Gigabyte BIOS is completely a joke and hopeless to work with) is it worth bringing my ram down to 800MHz from 1066MHz to be in a 1:1 ratio with my OC'd CPU FSB of 400MHz? Any pros or cons as to setting this ratio? Does the ratio really matter? Did I just waste $120 on 1066MHz ram when its just going to be used as 800MHz?

All I did so far was increase the FSB of the CPU to 400 and lowered the ram to achieve a 1:1 ratio, just to do it and get some experience in OC'ing as this is my first time. Thanks for any help you could offer.

What are you recommending that I do? I don't understand.

He's saying you can run the memory at or about 1066 by adjusting the memory speed in the bios. On Gigabyte MOBOs you have to hit CTRL+F1 to reveal "hidden" advanced bios options that Gigabyte hides for some strange reason. You can then adjust your memory to run at 1066. Make sure you also manually set the memory voltage to 2.1v or 2.2v depending on which version you have.

No I know about that, stock settings has it running at 1066MHz, but I am saying in order to run it at a ratio of 1:1 with the FSB I need to underclock it. (Since I obviously cannot have a FSB of 533MHz for my CPU)

Just about everything I've read says its better to run it with a 1:1 ratio.

Running the memory faster than the CPU does not yeild huge gains but, it will be faster in some apps. Most of the time it is about 1-2% faster but some memory intensive apps will be about 5% faster using a 1:2, 2:3, or 3:4 etc divider. You paid for 1066 memory so you may as well run it at 1066 if it is just as stable at 1:1 at 400/800.

Archived