Corsair Community

ASUS P5N32-E with XMS2 - 4x 6400c4's

Chonker

Help!

I've just built a machine using an Asus p5n32-e board and had fitted two 6400c4's. Machine ran nicely and seemed pretty good all in all but Vista bloat made me go out and buy two more 6400c4 dimms.

Wont boot at all with all four dimms in, boots with 3 but isn't very stable.

I've done a bunch of reading and apparently I should drop back the speed (seems a shame to after buying nice memory), but I'm not really sure how to go about this, my bios settings are mostly set to auto at the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

And I think you have already done that that step to make sure you don't have a failing module, if so then with one set installed go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, Cas 5-5-5-15 and set the Command Rate to 2t Manually and sett he TRC to 24 and set the memory frequency at DDR667 and then test the system with http://www.memtest.org! In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test. If it will still not post then I would test one set in slots A2 and B2 and see if it will post.

Definately have latest bios, first thing I did when I started having problems was update it.

Just finished going through memtests using the following settings:

Memory clock speed: 800mhz

Memory voltage: 2.1v

1.2vHT: 1.25v

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Commands per clock: 2

TRC 15

I ran through mem test twice, first with just my original pair of dimms in the blue sockets, then with just the new dimms in the white sockets. No errors returned at all for any tests.

When I put all four dimms in however it flat out refuses to boot (or even display memory information on the first bios screen to come up.

Archived