Corsair Community

CMX512-2700LL not working at rated speed

ClosetRemy

Hey, I got a problem with my RAM. 512 Megs at low latency settings (by SPD), 2-2-2-5, at 166mhz. I'm running on an ASUS A7N8X-X with an athlonXP 2500+ at stock speed, 166mhz x 11, everything else normal. I heard some wisdom on the net that having RAM running faster than your CPU's fsb would yield insignificant gains, so I went with the 2700LL. Unfortunately, my system's been acting funky since installing it (I was previously using a CMX256A-2700C2 module which seemed to work fine); namely explorer crashing all the time, downloading files that became mysteriously corrupt, and inability to install or play modern games. [I]I ran the memtest86, I believe it's called, and at SPD settings it had several thousand errors or something huge like that on test five, my God... a couple errors during test four. When running at 133mhz, I hastily ran it through test 5 only, which had no errors. [/I] Normally, I'd be okay with this, but I got these modules specifically to have fast memory... it'd be a pity to have to tone down the factory settings just to have it function under normal circumstances. I'm not finished testing yet, going to try and download a file, install something, and see if it works this time. Also going to go back and do a full run with memtest. It's been working alright since I booted under 133mhz, though, so I think this all is enough to warrant a question: Could this be a bad module for which I should ask a replacement or one that's incompatible with the A7N8X-X motherboard? I'm sorry if I missed a post exactly like this earlier, redirect me if so.

• Corsair Employee
First, please make sure that you have the latest bios, and then if you have a setting for Dim Voltage, please set it to 2.7 Volts. If you still get errors please test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and let's make sure one is not failing. In addition, you can also try setting the Rass to Cass to "3" if you like.

I updated the bios and set the DDR reference voltage to 2.7V (previously at 2.6). I still had errors. Setting the RAS to CAS delay to 3 instead of 2 seems to fix things, even at 166mhz, but I still get random resets within the first 8 minutes of the Far Cry demo (thought that game would be a good way to test the memory). However, I can download files fine and everything else seems to work properly, no errors during memtest for tests 1-5, either. Couple questions: How do I test the modules individually using memtest86+? This seems significant since it has errors from about 320 to 511.7MB at 2-2-2-5, but I can't seem to find an option that lets me do so. And how significantly will a RAS to CAS delay of 3 affect performance? update: it seems this rebooting problem isn't specific to far cry... I was playing No One Lives Forever 2 and it did the same thing after 5-10 minutes. This seems to suggest that a RAS to CAS delay of 3 is insufficient. Also after playing these games at 133mhz with 2-2-2-5, the same thing happens. The tests have no problems, though, so I'm currently seeing whether or not it's something else in my system. update again: I guess by "module" you meant the entire stick. There is only one, and it does indeed fail tests 4 and 5 at the rated speed and latency timings. Also, apparently, this random rebooting crap doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the RAM, since after testing and playing games with the 256A stick it still happens. Not sure what the hell is going on, since my motherboard settings are default, except for the fact that I turned APIC on (for windows 2000), and all my drivers are up-to-date. Nevertheless, it seems that the CMX512-2700LL stick isn't working at the rated speed, at least not on the A7N8X-X. Perhaps I should move to get it exchanged.

• Corsair Employee
We can try replacing the modules if you like, please follow the link in my signature. In addition I would try and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" and see if that helps. However if it just restarts in windows when playing a game, that could be many things not just the memory. I would suggest that you load setup defaults and then set the timings and do not change anything else, just leave the other settings to auto or bios default!

Yeah, I realized that rebooting thing was probably something else when it did that with my old RAM, too. It seems to be relatively stable at the new timings, I'll consider whether or not I should try and get it replaced anyways. Thanks for all the help!

Archived