Corsair Community

GA-M59SLI-S5 won't post with 4 sticks TWIN2X2048-6400C4

rajah

My Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 system ran without problems for the past nine months with 2 GB of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 purchased from newegg in April (stock settings as far as I can remember). I bought 2 more GB of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 from newegg and installed it tonight (now 4 sticks total). After starting the system up, the fans ran but the hard drive light came on solid and the system would not post or beep. I tried the following steps and restarted, all resulting in the hard drive light turning solid and no post or beep:

* removed all hard drives, video card, and sound card

* cleared CMOS via the jumper

* erased CMOS by removing the battery

* removed 2 new sticks of ram from slots 3&4

* removed ALL sticks of ram

* put 2 old sticks in slots 3&4

* put 1 old stick in slot 1

* put other old stick in slot 1

* put 1 new stick in slot 1

Same result for all iterations - fans on, no post, no beep, solid hdd light. Right now the system is dead in the water. Could the two new sticks of ram have fried my old ram? Or my motherboard? Or both? Or did placing four sticks in there put my bios into an unusable state? Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employee
After clearing CMOS I would recommend testing the modules one at a time in multiple slots on the board. If none of the modules can get the board to post into the BIOS, then you may need to have the board replaced. If you can get into the BIOS, load optimized defaults, set memory voltage to +.3v and then set the memory frequency to DDR667 and install the rest of your memory.

Cleared cmos, tried old ram in all slots, one at a time. System will not post or beep. Also tried a stick of generic 1.8v ram in all slots with no better result. Hard to believe that adding two sticks of corsair ram will render the system unbootable.

• Corsair Employee
If 5 different modules will not let the system post, then there is an issue with either your motherboard or your CPU. Memory is a passive piece of hardware and could not "fry" anything, unless the memory is installed incorrectly (backwards or not pushed down all the way).

Archived