Corsair Community

HP, Asus A7N8X-LA & max mem?

davidows

I have an HP a230n desktop, with an Asus A7N8X-LA mobo and nForce2-IGP chipset, although I am not using the Integrated Graphics Processor. The only apparent difference from the A7N8X is the lack of a third memory slot; there are only 2 memory slots on this version. The HP specs list the maximum memory as 1GB (2 x 512MB). However, HP confuses the issue by posting A7N8X-LA specs on their site, but with the VIA KM400 chipset, saying: "Maximum memory size is up to 2GB, 1GB per slot recommended (the PC manufacturer's recommended maximum memory may differ)". Aside from that discrepancy, Aida32 shows that the DMI reports "Maximum Memory Module Size: 4096MB". Why would a manufacturer "recommend" a lower maximum memory? Is it a maximum or a recommendation? Does anyone know what is going on here and can I safely order the 2GB of TWINX1024-2700LLPT without worrying about having to return it and lose money on a restocking charge?

That board must be one that Asus makes for HP. Its not on their website. Anyway if the specs are the same as the A7N8X-VM or VM/400, which I suspect, then it would support 2GB of PC2700. However, Corsair does'nt make 1GB modules of 2700. There are only 2 Dimm slots, which would limit you to 1GB of RAM. The HP site specs only 1GB. I would lean towards the HP site being correct since this board is not on Asus' site.

You're correct, Savage, I was mistakenly thinking of the TWINX1024 as a pair of 1GB modules, rather than 512MB each and I wouldn't want to run 3200 memory since it would actually run slower on the 333MHz FSB. I was hoping to get 2GB since I want to run 2-3 Virtual PCs, running WinServer 2003 with various scenarios that might include ISA, SQL Server, CRM or SharePoint Portal and I would like to give each of them 512MB with another 512MB left for the host OS. I guess I would have to go with Crucial memory (if I find that the mobo can take 2GB) and give up the XMS Ultra Low Latency, or settle for 1GB of XMS Ultra Low Latency and give only 256MB to each VM. Either way, it will be better than HP's original 512MB of Smart Modular memory that I'm carving up now.

• Corsair Employee
With OEM systems, often times they will not put the effort in to do large scale compatibility testing to keep costs down, umber one and secondly when you start testing modules of different densities it opens a whole new can of worms that I would doubt they are willing to address. Not being rude, just the business model. I would really suggest that you use a retail MB like from ASUS if you want a special configuration.

RAM GUY, that really doesn't have anything to do with my situation. I'm not looking for a special configuration. I already have the computer and I just have my doubts about the information HP is offering. I suspect that they are just being conservative and and protecting their artificial segmenting of the market, pushing this model toward the lower end user, hoping someone like me would be foolish enough to buy a whole new system just to accomodate another GB of memory. I can't imagine what HP or Asus would have done to disable the capacity of the standard mobo or why they would do that even if they could. I guess I'll just have to take a chance on my hunch or live with 1GB as I said before.

• Corsair Employee
Well, yes and no! In other words, HP like many OEM's will build a system and they will only validate it a specific group of parts. In addition, memory Validation is quite expensive about 2K-5K in US dollars per module part# and MB part#. So with the margin going down on computers in general there is less room fro them to play with. Honestly, you can try it with the modules; technically, they should work with the latest bios or firmware. However, they may not work correctly as many MB makers just released BIOS’s to support higher density memory IC's. In addition, I don’t think they disabled anything, just when this product was produced and in QA the higher density IC's were not available.

Archived