Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6. Which DDR2 memory for this?

fishquail

I am getting Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 motherboard.

I was looking at:

Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory TWIN2X2048-6400C4

But i dont know if this memory will work with this motherboard. I want good performance for video editing, After effects compositing and complex Photoshop work. Need 8GBs for Vista 64-Bit.

Thanks.

I am getting Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 motherboard.

I was looking at:

Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory TWIN2X2048-6400C4

But i dont know if this memory will work with this motherboard. I want good performance for video editing, After effects compositing and complex Photoshop work. Need 8GBs for Vista 64-Bit.

Thanks.

No P35 motherboard has more than four DIMM slots for memory modules. If you buy the TWIN2X2048 kits, you can only reach 4GB maximum on your motherboard because each TWIN2X2048 kit contains two 1GB sticks of memory. (In other words, if you use TWIN2X2048 kits to reach 8GB, you will need eight DIMM slots on your motherboard, which only server motherboards have -- but server motherboards require the use of registered (buffered) memory, which none of the TWIN2X kits currently are.) And if you load more than two sticks on your motherboard, you will have to lower your memory speed to DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) due to the increased loading on the memory controller. (And the P35 chipset's memory controller is not the only memory controller to suffer such a limitation. All memory controllers designed for use with unbuffered (non-registered) memory will suffer the very same limitations.)

I have been doing more resaerch.

MY big ram question is - will just any module that fits the specs of the Board run?

THe Motherboard lists that the Ram it needs is:

Dual Channel, DDR2 1200/1600/1333/1066/800

I believe 1200 is expensive and above 1200 is DDR3. So if i find any 2GB module in the 1066 range will that be ok? Best bang for buck.

Since the GA-X38-DQ6 is not listed on the Corsair memory configurator I have to ask: will this board support the Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 (DDR2 1066) 4 DIMM 4GB kit at full 1066MHz timings? Or will the DRAM bus have to be downclocked for loading concerns with 4 DIMMs?

Archived