Corsair Community

Is this really as good as it gets?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So in effect you're saying I should reduce FSB even further until OCCT will run for 30 minutes? That probably means down to 3.1 or 3.0 then, right?

Or you can increase the Core voltage to 1.45 and retest. If I remember correctly, your board undervolts the Core voltage a bit. If stable, what is the Core Temp?

Under the Memory Frequency setting in the BIOS. What options are available?

Performance Memory Profiles = Manual <User Defined>

Reference Memory = 266Mhz

Memory Frequency = ????

Derek, currently:

Performance Memory Profiles = Manual

Reference Frequency = Default <== Should this be set specifically to 266?

Memory Frequency = 533 (Choices are 800, 667, 533, 400)

Timings are 5-5-5-15

Memory Voltage = 2.12

Thanks, Derek!

Tom

3.1GHz CPU

862Mhz at 4-4-4-12 ~2.12v On the DRAM

That's pretty decent. I would be happy with that clocking. Certainly when you start using it you will find that it is pretty damn snappy. OCCT passed so now you have to run Prime95 for ~8hours. Post your CPU temps after an hour.

3.1GHz CPU

862Mhz at 4-4-4-12 ~2.12v On the DRAM

That's pretty decent. I would be happy with that clocking. Certainly when you start using it you will find that it is pretty damn snappy. OCCT passed so now you have to run Prime95 for ~8hours. Post your CPU temps after an hour.

Great!

So what's next then (after Prime95 and CPU temps)? Is it time to see if we can pull down cpu Voltage? MCH Voltage?

The Gunny

Yes, you can drop the CPU and MCH voltages incrementally and retest. This though, needs a good long Prime to test stability. You do not want to drop voltages before you find out if you are long-term stable and ~8hours of Prime95 small ffts is necessary.

Then you can take your time. Drop the CPU core one increment and test for 8 hours again. Once you find instability, you then raise an increment and retest.

Test with Memtest for each MCH drop. If stable, then test with Prime95 Blend test for a good hour.

You must be very careful not to overvolt the FSB Voltage on the i975 boards. You can raise it to 1.4v but I would not go higher. It helps with the memory when running at a ratio of greater than 1:1.

You can raise it a bit and try to make 3.2Ghz. It seems as though you want to go higher so it won't hurt as long as you maintain midrange voltages and you are pretty low on it. There might be an issue with the FSB data stream and this would smooth it out.

With the temps you have, there is nothing wrong with tweaking and trying to get higher CPU speed. You have learned enough now to document and test/tweak the settings to find a bit higher CPU speed. You are fine up to temps of 65C full Prime95 Load.

Thanks, Derek - this has been tremendously helpful!

How do you feel about this as a "go forward" plan:

1. Try raising fsb Voltage (currently at 1.275) 1 - 2 clicks while trying to raise CPU to 3.2 or higher. Currently CPU is running at 3.1. Test with Memtest, followed by Prime95 extended stability test.

2. Try to lower CPU voltage (currently at 1.400) a couple of clicks, testing with Prime95 for stability. (Would this reduce temps also?)

3. Try to reduce MCH voltage 1 click (currently at 1.60) back to stock 1.55, testing with Memtest, then Prime95 for stability.

Memory is at 667, 4-4-4-12, 2.12v. No need to do any future adjusting there, is there? EXCEPT - if/when I raise the fsb clock to increase cpu speed, I will also be raising the fsb memory speed. That could be a problem. Currently it is at 862, I believe. I would expect Memtest to fail on the first attempt to raise clock speed. Where would you begin tweaking in that case?

Of course, documenting every step for retraceability/recovery purposes.

Anything I'm overlooking here?

Thanks again for your help, Derek!

The Gunny

Thanks, Derek - this has been tremendously helpful!

How do you feel about this as a "go forward" plan:

1. Try raising fsb Voltage (currently at 1.275) 1 - 2 clicks while trying to raise CPU to 3.2 or higher. Currently CPU is running at 3.1. Test with Memtest, followed by Prime95 extended stability test.

2. Try to lower CPU voltage (currently at 1.400) a couple of clicks, testing with Prime95 for stability. (Would this reduce temps also?)

3. Try to reduce MCH voltage 1 click (currently at 1.60) back to stock 1.55, testing with Memtest, then Prime95 for stability.

No, this is not the way to go. One of these at a time. Find your stable and final overclock. THEN move to lowering voltages. If you perform the above steps you are raising your overclock and lowering your voltages. Two sets of lowered voltages. When you find instability, is it the CPU? The FSB Voltage? The Core Voltage? You have added three variables against finding a higher overclock. One at a time.

Memory is at 667, 4-4-4-12, 2.12v. No need to do any future adjusting there, is there? EXCEPT - if/when I raise the fsb clock to increase cpu speed, I will also be raising the fsb memory speed. That could be a problem. Currently it is at 862, I believe. I would expect Memtest to fail on the first attempt to raise clock speed. Where would you begin tweaking in that case?

Set your DRAM timings to 5-5-5-15 when you continue the overclock of the CPU. When you have found your final overclock, then you can begin to tighten the DRAM timings. Your DRAM will very likely make 1000Mhz with 5-5-5-15 timings.

Memtest every raise before even entering Windows.

Sorry, Derek - I wasn't clear.

I didn't mean to apply all those changes in one massive "shotgun" blast. I meant a single [small] step at a time, but in the described sequence.

So far everything has been done using the 2 GB of CAS4 Corsair ram. However, I'm sitting on another 2 GB of Pat**** low latency 4-4-4-12 ram.

At some point, when this testing is done, I'd like to add that. (yes, I know I'll only see 3.3 or so Gigs). Any thing (or changes) to watch out for when I add that?

Thanks, for all your help, Derek!

Tom

You will lose your overclock settings with that extra DRAM. You can not just create an overclock and add more DRAM to the overclock. It doesn't work that way.

My advice? There is little need for personal gaming and workstations to access more than 2GB and I would not advise installing 2GB more.

You will find many more problems and you will have to start your overclock all over again. You will very likely have to drop the DRAM one full speed. ie, if you have 860 now, you will have to drop to 533Mhz and raise an overclock and the overclock will be more limited.

The good thing is that you should have learned by now how to test and tweak your overclock.

http://www.overclock.net is a good forum for you to now make use of your newfound overclocking abilities and there are far more people there to help you than here. It's an overclock site for newbies and there are great people there. Tell Chozart that Ropey sent you. :)

Good luck.

Archived