Corsair Community

My Corsair vx450w is buzzing

Shmanky

thankyou for replying Ram guy.however, there's no guarantee that replacing the psu wont have the buzzing noise again, since my 620HX is brand new, is been used only a week. i'll go crazy if i dont have a computer to use for 2-3 week if i RMA it :( i guess i have to deal with the beeping noise. my only concern is that this psu would last long.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thankyou for replying Ram guy.however, there's no guarantee that replacing the psu wont have the buzzing noise again, since my 620HX is brand new, is been used only a week. i'll go crazy if i dont have a computer to use for 2-3 week if i RMA it :( i guess i have to deal with the beeping noise. my only concern is that this psu would last long.

You can request a turn around from RMA. You then give your credit card number to the handler and they send you the power supply first. Then you send yours back and they deduct the CC amount.

I have used this method and it works well. Corsair does not want you unhappy with your purchase. I have the same PSU and it is a dream so don't think that this happens all that often. Return rate is actually quite low on all Corsair products. The problem is that very few are going to come here to post if the parts are working correctly so we see all the problems. :)

• 3 months later...
Thank you for your comments, xseanx. However, I built this machine specifically for Windows Vista 32-bit. So the buzzing I hear is under Vista, and I do hear buzzing when I scroll a Web page or move a window on the screen.

I bought this PSU because of positive recommendations from silentpcreview.com.

Hello!

I bought the Corsair vx450w yesterday. The Corsair vx450w makes a rustling, buzzing noise distinguishable from its fan noise from 8 in = 20

cm distance. It looks like a vibration of wires causes strokes between wires and makes the rustle noise. The rustle noise increases

when disk drives begin to seek. I bought the Corsair vx450w because http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html gave it the

highest rating on noise. The seller (ООО "ВЭБ-Трейдинг"-Мега24 Интернет Супермаркет http://www.mega24.ru) does not want to replace the Corsair vx450w because thinks that the rustle noise is too low.

I filled out the On Line RMA Request Form yesterday, but have not got a reply.

Best regards,

Dima

Ok reading all this buzzing noise from the forum, I wanted to add something. I own a Corsair 620HX and I also have the beep noise problem. It sound like a cricket at night. Corsair have send me a new replacement regarding this issue, and the new replacement still exhibit this problem. I'm starting to think Corsair PSU suppose to make the beeping noise? Or it have a high rate of this problem? I'm quite disappointed and annoy by this beep because I love how silent the PSU is. At this point, I don't know what to do anymore. If your PC is quiet, you can definitely hear it. Mine happend randomly when I'm using my PC and it does seam the beep tied in with the Hard Drive seeking.

Maybe someone have this same problem try swapping out another PSU to confirm it indeed come from the PSU? I'm going to try buy another PSU, and another Hard Drive to see if the beep go away.

Ok reading all this buzzing noise from the forum, I wanted to add something. I own a Corsair 620HX and I also have the beep noise problem. It sound like a cricket at night. Corsair have send me a new replacement regarding this issue, and the new replacement still exhibit this problem. I'm starting to think Corsair PSU suppose to make the beeping noise? Or it have a high rate of this problem? I'm quite disappointed and annoy by this beep because I love how silent the PSU is. At this point, I don't know what to do anymore. If your PC is quiet, you can definitely hear it. Mine happend randomly when I'm using my PC and it does seam the beep tied in with the Hard Drive seeking.

Maybe someone have this same problem try swapping out another PSU to confirm it indeed come from the PSU? I'm going to try buy another PSU, and another Hard Drive to see if the beep go away.

Mine sounds like a cricket too, but low.

You can request a turn around from RMA. You then give your credit card number to the handler and they send you the power supply first. Then you send yours back and they deduct the CC amount.

I have used this method and it works well. Corsair does not want you unhappy with your purchase. I have the same PSU and it is a dream so don't think that this happens all that often. Return rate is actually quite low on all Corsair products. The problem is that very few are going to come here to post if the parts are working correctly so we see all the problems. :)

Official Corsair Privateer implies that you are wrong in POST ID # = 331626

I have had a similar problem with a TX750 power supply, although the noise is a buzz and click as if it is switching, when the pc is booting up. I was running 2 ATI X1900's in Crossfire, 4 hard drives, 2 optical drives and 7 fans not including the fan in the power supply since just after Christmas until yesterday. XP would not boot and it corrupted the raid array bad enough that I had to re-install.

By trial and error I have found that if I try to boot with more than one video card, 2 hard drives, 1 optical drive and 4 fans the noise starts and it fails to boot to windows. It seems that it is overloaded but with 60 amps on the 12 volt leg I would have thought I could almost jump start a car with this power supply.

Any advice?

• 1 month later...

Well I wish I had read these forums before buying my psu...I just received a VX450 to power my new xeon e3110 build; and it is doing the cricket buzz thing just like so many people here are mentioning. It will actually stop if I run Prime95 or play a 3d game, so I guess it doesn't happen under heavy load. Very strange.

Its confirmed not the fan, and doesn't change no matter where I plug it in.

Its very irritating (even though not super loud) but I'm hesitant to RMA it since people are saying they're getting ones back that still make the noise.

Edit - For now I've solved it by running Folding while surfing etc; but I shouldn't have to max my cpu to get rid of the noise...

• Corsair Employee

We can replace the units if you like. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I would recommend testing the unit by plugging the PSU directly into a wall outlet, and if possible, test in a different system to see if you get the same results.

• Corsair Employee
The problem is: i need to send it to CANADA............. so 1 month without pc because of Corsair Fault... uhm nice :roll:

If you RMA the PSU through us then it would need to be shipped to the USA. You can contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to find out what options may be available for you.

• 4 months later...

Hi sorry for my English im form Poland :D

My PSU has the same issue, buzz sound...

I think its only when my old CRT monitor is plugged in... LCD is on warranty so i cant check this theory now.

And now the most important question, this buzz is dangerous to my computer?

I have to send my psu to warranty or not?

If not i can just ignore that sound is not very annoying

Thanks for answer

• Corsair Employee
The buzzing would not indicate that there is any type of mechanical failure within the unit, and it is unlikely that you are at risk of damaging any components. Generally we can replace the unit for you, if you find the unit to be causing too much noise, but if it is barely noticeable then I would just keep the one you have. In the end, it is up to you to decide if you would like to get it replaced or not.

• Corsair Employee
The buzzing is not a problem for me, its barely noticeable, i just want too now if it's safe thanks.

No problem at all, and remember you have 5 years to decide whether its worth replacing or not. If the noise gets progressively worse then we would want to have it replaced!

• 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employee
I bought the Corsair 450watt version from Fry's yesterday and I am having the same issue as everyone else.

If I do an RMA, will I be sure to get a unit that does not make this noise? Has anyone gotten their replacement unit?

Can I send my unit back to Corsair at the same time that you send me the replacement? I mean I do want to wait 7-10 days when I can just return the unit to Fry's..

If you purchased the unit from a local reseller then it should be much quicker to have it exchanged with them, however if they have any problem doing it for you we would be happy to replace it for you. Keep in mind that the buzzing could come from many other sources as well. The motherboard and even video card can produce the same noises and even the power that your outlet is delivering to the unit could cause noise, so a replacement PSU will not always resolve the problem. I would test the PSU by plugging it directly into a wall outlet, and you may want to try the PSU in a different system if you have that option.

• Corsair Employee
It's from the PSU, I am 100% positive. Plugging it directly into the wall doesn't affect it.

If I do an RMA, will I be guaranteed to get a unit that does not make the buzzing sound?

The clicking/buzzing noise is not normal to the unit, and yours should be replaced. It’s very difficult to test units for audible noise in reality, because Corsair’s test environment has a very clean power source. Many times, the clicking/buzzing noises come from the PFC filter circuitry or components used in the AC-DC conversion process, and these components all can react differently based on how clean the power source is. A unit that performs silently here in the lab may buzz or click in a house with older wiring, or a room with a failing battery-powered UPS, or any number of other things. If you were to have the same problems with a replacement, then there is most likely some other cause for the buzzing.

• 1 month later...

Yep...same noise here...maybe worse and its going on a little over 2 months.

Anytime i move my mouse, scroll, run over links on pages, seeking on hard drive, basically anything, i get that buzzing. I can hear it in the other room, so imagine just how annoying it is (i do have excellent hearing btw ;) ).

I've tried putting it directly into an outlet, tried a different system, different surge protectors, i just bought a battery backup that gives a warning about the household wiring, if its faulty. im sure its the psu. following what another said using the paper towel tube, i found it coming from the back of the psu. it is not the gpu. Just tried forcing vsync.

I was hoping it would just go away...lol

It hasnt gotten worse, but i cant take it anymore. I need to have it replaced. I use that box for web developing, for work, so I cant afford to go a week or whatever without it. And its past the sellers return policy. I read previously about the option of giving the ups guy your cc info and then refunding it when i return the original, (something like that). I need to do that.

Your help is appreciated ;)

• Corsair Employee
Yep...same noise here...maybe worse and its going on a little over 2 months.

Anytime i move my mouse, scroll, run over links on pages, seeking on hard drive, basically anything, i get that buzzing. I can hear it in the other room, so imagine just how annoying it is (i do have excellent hearing btw ;) ).

I've tried putting it directly into an outlet, tried a different system, different surge protectors, i just bought a battery backup that gives a warning about the household wiring, if its faulty. im sure its the psu. following what another said using the paper towel tube, i found it coming from the back of the psu. it is not the gpu. Just tried forcing vsync.

I was hoping it would just go away...lol

It hasnt gotten worse, but i cant take it anymore. I need to have it replaced. I use that box for web developing, for work, so I cant afford to go a week or whatever without it. And its past the sellers return policy. I read previously about the option of giving the ups guy your cc info and then refunding it when i return the original, (something like that). I need to do that.

Your help is appreciated ;)

Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Once you receive an RMA number, please contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com if you would like to find out what RMA options may be available for you!

• 2 weeks later...
I've got the same problem with a TX750. One day old. No offense, but I have found at least 20 cases on these forums alone, perhaps corsair production should be made aware of this issue. I will RMA mine or try to get my money back as soon as my previous non-crosair PSU has been replaced. I just don't believe that it can have anything to do with the power source, since it does it with the normal US model as well as the EU and UK models. I personally am in Switzerland.

Archived