Corsair Community

HELP !! 450VX -5V Rail

Mr. Vanier

I'm posting here in the hope that someone can clear up a problem I've encountered with my brand new 450VX PSU. I'm upgrading an older system built around an Abit NF7-S, rev. 2.0 mobo. Last night I replaced the old no-name PSU with a new Corsair 450VX. When I powered it up for the first time I went into the BIOS to check the voltages and found that the -5 volt rail was giving me a reading of +61.77 volts. When I went into Windows everything seemed to run normally, but my onboard monitoring software also warned me that the -5 volt rail was operating off the scale. I can't find anything useful on Google about this situation and I'm wondering if I'm missing something really simple or if it's time to RMA my new PSU. Any helpful information or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Link to your motherboard manual:

http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=NF7-S&fMTYPE=Socket%20A&pPRODINFO=Manual

-5volt power hasn't been used to power anything in quite a while. It was used during the AT days to power ISA bud cards and early PROMS. -5volt power was kept on earlier versions of ATX supplies to power the few ATX boards that had ISA expansion card bus slots on them or those very early ATX boards that still had the earlier vintage PROMs on them (were talking the early 1990's here, the transition years from AT to ATX). Looking over your board's manual, I don't see anything that would be powered by the -5volt rail; so if the system seems to be stable I wouldn't bother returning the supply.

Archived