Corsair Community

TWINX must return in pair but only one is defective

RockYourEars

Hello RamGuy!

I've been through many problems with my brand new hardware in the previous weeks. At first, I've bought a pair of 2x1024 from a three letter company which I returned to the website who sold me it because one of the module was defective, my computer wouldn't boot from it, it would just do 3 beeps, which meant that the first 64K were defective.

Then I've bought the TWINX 2x1024 from the same website and got the same problems. Meanwhile, many other problems occured and overall, I've wasted many, many hours of my precious time and a good amount of money.

I have just read that I have to send my two TWINX memory modules to RMA even if just one is defective. Is there any way to only send the defective one OR have a replacement before I send back my RAM? I am really tired of having a non-functional computer. I've paid enough for it and I've got it for a month now and I still did not manage to have it fully working.

If I can't get a replacement, I think I may just return the RAM to the website and buy from a different brand and wait until I receive it to send back my Corsair RAM, that way I won't be without RAM for days before receiving a replacement. I do not have any other DDR2 RAM at home that I could use in my computer while waiting for brand new parts.

As of writing this message, the "good" module has failed three times out of 3 passes in test 3 of memtest86+ v1.70, it usually passed all tests without any error. I may try plugging it in a different DIMM just in case.

If it may be of any help:

Intel DP35DP

Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz FSB 1333

Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2 x 1024)

Thank you RamGuy/Corsair!

Hello RamGuy!

The model is TWIN2x2048-6400C4 G

My motherboard does not supporte changing the dram voltage. The timings are set to automatic and are 5-5-5-18 at 800MHz.

I have tried with a Asus P5KC motherboard which supports changing the dram values and even with 2.1v, I still had errors on my ram.

I'd really appreciate if I could get the replacement before I ship my RAM back, just like some company does with hard drives. I have ran memtest86+ right after coming back from work and I got errors in test 3 just like yesterday. I will test more throughfully tonight.

Thank you,

Frank

Hello Ram Guy,

I have disabled legacy USB and the half-defect module seems to be good now, all tests have passed around 4 times now. I will run it all night long to see if I can catch an error on this module.

However, the other memory module doesn't work at all. When it is the only memory module in my computer, when I boot it up, the monitor does not even power up, and there is no beep.

Thanks,

Frank

Hello RamGuy,

I ran memtest86+ all night long on the half-faulty module and it seems to be 100% good, there were not an error at all. However, the other module is still of no use.

What can you do for my main concern expressed in the first posts of this thread?

I have just read that I have to send my two TWINX memory modules to RMA even if just one is defective. Is there any way to only send the defective one OR have a replacement before I send back my RAM? I am really tired of having a non-functional computer. I've paid enough for it and I've got it for a month now and I still did not manage to have it fully working.

If I can't get a replacement, I think I may just return the RAM to the website and buy from a different brand and wait until I receive it to send back my Corsair RAM, that way I won't be without RAM for days before receiving a replacement. I do not have any other DDR2 RAM at home that I could use in my computer while waiting for brand new parts.

Thank you,

Frank

Archived