Corsair Community

EVGA N680i motherboard (122-CK-NF68-A1) & TWIN2X2048-8500C5D Issue

nayc99

I posted this under Motherboards, Processors and Overclocking but I am not sure if that was the right forum.

Ram Guy,

I have an EVGA N680i motherboard (122-CK-NF68-A1) and 2Gigs of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D memory.

My first problem is that the memory is clocking at 800 instead of 1066. How do I fix that in the bios? I tried changing the timings to 5-5-5-15 and the voltage to 2.2 but the system seemed a bit unstable and the clocking only showed 1000.

My second issue is that I purchased another 2Gigs of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D and added them to my system but both Windows XP and Windows Vista only show 2.25 gigs. I tried restoring my bios to it’s default settings but that did not fix the missing memory issue. I rebuilt my system from scratch and still ran into the same problem. In fact, during the rebuild of Vista I kept running into the blue screen of death. According to the Microsoft knowledgebase my issue was memory related so I tried changing some settings in the bios to see if that would fix the problem. I ended up “Linking” the memory (not that I know what that does) and was able to install Vista but it still only shows 2.25 gigs of memory.

Can you please advise how to properly setup my mobo to clock the memory from 800 to 1066 and to fix the missing memory in the operating systems? Also, do you know what the “Link” setting in the memory section of the bios actual does?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

• Corsair Employee

Before you do anything, get the Vista patch for 3+GB of memory, which can be found here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777.

Next, Update the BIOS to the newest version, clear the CMOS and load setup defaults in the BIOS, now set the following settings manually:

Memory Voltage: 2.2v

NB Core Voltage: 1.45v

SLI Ready: Disabled

FSB Memory CLock Mode: Unlinked

FSB QDR MHZ: 1066MHZ(leave at 1066MHZ when testing RAM, Do not OC)

MEM DDR MHZ: 800MHZ(start with 800MHZ increase by 20MHZ each time you test)

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 15

Command Per Clock: 2T

TRC: 28

Thanks for the quick responce Ram Guy. Quick question though, what is NB Core Voltage and where can I find it? After updating the bios the only voltage settings I see that I can adjust are (and what they are currently set at):

CPU 1.35v

Memory 1.850v

FSB 1.20v

HT nForce SPP <-> MCP 1.20v

nForce SPP 1.25v

nForce MCP 1.50v

Auxiliary 1.5v

I updated my bios, installed the vista patch you suggested and installed the other 2G of memory for a total of 4G. Both OS only show 2.25 (2032MB) of memory. I have not "tweaked" the bios to fix the clock the memory at 1066 yet because I wanted to make sure all 4 dimms showed up. Any thoughts as to why both operation systems are showing this? Could the other two memory sticks be bad?

I ran an msinfo32.exe on my Vista system and here are the results:

Item Value

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate

Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000 Other

OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer NVIDIA

System Model 122-CK-NF68

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Intel® Core2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processo r(s)

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 7/11/2007

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16407"

Total Physical Memory 2,301.73 MB

Available Physical Memory 1.65 GB

Total Virtual Memory 4.70 GB

Available Virtual Memory 3.95 GB

Page File Space 2.54 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me what type of video card configuration you have (make/model of card(s)) If you have a 32-bit version of Vista you may be limited to 2.5-3.5GB of memory depending on the system. Also, can you tell me how much memory is detected in the BIOS?

Thanks again for helping me with this.

I have two XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB DDR3 RoHS Dual DVI Extreme

(PV-T80U-SHE9) in SLI mode. Windows Vista is running in 32bit mode and I have updated all the patches that are available.

My Bios shows:

Base: 640K

Extended Memory: 4192256K

Total Memory: 4193280K

I have an EVGA N680i motherboard (122-CK-NF68-A1) and 2Gigs of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D memory.

Ha, I have this same mobo, with same memory, with 4GB. You defenitly need a 64 bit OS, XP-64, Vista-64, or some linus 64 will work. Well not on this mobo.

This is the worst mobo I have ever used. There is so much junk you have to do just to get the darn thing working at stock speeds. And the best part is that once u have done all of that, it will still not work. I know my issue is not with all of the other parts, because i have tested each individual part in another computer.

If I had to guess at the problem, I would say its a chipset/bios issue.

and if you dont believe me on this check out

http://evga.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=13

I ran memtest on this box for 36 hours no errors. Power off the box, then power it back on, C1 errors.

• 1 month later...

I have pretty much the same system. After configuring the BIOS, I get a message to hit F1 to continue. Is there a way around this? Have I done something wrong and this is actually a vital warning?

The actual message is:

"Warning! Now system is in Safe Mode.

Please reset CPU or Memory Frequency in the CMOS setup."

The machine seems to be running nice and stable with the tweaks you've posted above. I can't express how grateful I am for this. THANKS!

It just loops back. If I hit F1, it inserts it's own settings.

Additional info I see:

VOLTAGES

CPU Core: Auto 1.28

CPU FSB: Auto 1.2

CPU MCP: Auto 1.5

HT nForce SPP <-> MCP: 1.2

Memory Voltage: 2.2v

NB Core Voltage: 1.45v

SLI Ready: Disabled

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 15

Command Per Clock: 2T

TRC: 28

tWR: Auto 5

tWTR: Auto 9

tREF: Auto 7.8us

CPU Multiplier: 9x

PCIe x16-1, MHz: 100

PCIe x16-3, MHz: 100

PCIe x16-2, MHz: 100

SPP <-> MCP Ref Clock MHz: 200.0

nForce SPP --> nForce MCP: 5x

nForce SPP <-- nForce MCP: 5x

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIe (SPP): Auto

I talked to a few people and this is where I was going wrong.

The board wouldn't let me set the FSB QDR MHz to 1066. It should stay at 1333 with that processor and the MEM DDR MHz is where I wanted the 1066.

With all this said, my machine seems to be stable. Thanks for all the help. Hope this helps someone else.

Archived