Corsair Community

520HX keeps cutting out

Andyroid

I got a new 520HXUK PSU yesterday, installed it and hit the power button. The PSU fan started spinning, then stopped, then started spinning again and the PC got all confused. After a couple of similar tries, checking of cables etc it eventually stayed on long enough to get into Windows, but within minutes the PSU had cut out again.

Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this, a faulty PSU or something else? I'm replacing a broken 480W PSU which until its demise worked fine for years. At last check the motherboard worked fine with a 300W PSU from another machine, but this was before I installed the new PSU so I will try again tonight. I tried the new PSU with everything plugged in (graphics, hard disk, CD-ROM, case fans) and with just the motherboard and the behaviour is the same.

The specs on the MSI site say nothing about an ATX version. I'll check the paper manual when I'm home, but I find it hard to believe that a 2 year old motherboard doesn't support a 10 year old spec.

I tried the PSU on another PC last night and the behaviour is very similar. It can't get started, keeps cutting out and there's the clicking noise some people have been talking about in some other threads. The clicking sounds like it might be sparking, I'm wondering if my PSU might have a loose connection or a bridging fault.

• Corsair Employee
Let's get it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace it! Please make sure you let them know you are from the forum!

Archived