Corsair Community

hx620w fan issue

Exitilus

when I mount my powersupply (p182 case) it starts to make a scraping sound. a little testing has shown that it's just the grate / that bottom surface of the psu putting a bit of pressure on the fan and making QUITE a bit of very very annoying noise.

is there anything I can do about this WITHOUT voiding my warranty or RMAing it? I just waited aeons for all the parts and I'd cry having to wait another couple weeks. (though, the 2x2gb memory modules I got from you guys work a charm!)

-j

There's roughly 1" of clearance under the psu cage, and since the 120mm fan is blowing air into that area it probably doesn't matter which way you choose to mount the psu. When I receive my P182 I'll mount the HX520 with the fan facing down. However feel free to mount yours upside down to see if it solves your noise issue.

http://www.viperlair.com/images/reviews/cases/antec/cases/p182/AntecP182B%20(35).jpg

There's roughly 1" of clearance under the psu cage, and since the 120mm fan is blowing air into that area it probably doesn't matter which way you choose to mount the psu. When I receive my P182 I'll mount the HX520 with the fan facing down. However feel free to mount yours upside down to see if it solves your noise issue.

http://www.viperlair.com/images/reviews/cases/antec/cases/p182/AntecP182B%20(35).jpg

I have the P180B which is similar to the P182. I have my Corsair 620 mounted right side up so that the fan points down into that 1 inch space. (This allowed the power cables to route under the motherboard tray).

I assume that the PSU draws cool air from the back and exhausts warm air with the fan into the case... is that right?

If so, would it be better to have the fan in the middle of the lower chamber blow onto the PSU pushing that warm air out the back... or will this just cause the PSU to suck in warm air? Should I reverse the case fan direction and have it blow the warm air out the front and toward the hard drive?

• 8 months later...
am setting up a new pc, with the P182 and the hx620, did allready build in the PSU upside down, then started thinking about maybe some negative effects on the interior cooling of the PSU so came to this forum. Was wondering if anyone has experience wiht the PSU upside down. also is the cable length of the powersuply to the mobo still sufficient?

• Corsair Employee
am setting up a new pc, with the P182 and the hx620, did allready build in the PSU upside down, then started thinking about maybe some negative effects on the interior cooling of the PSU so came to this forum. Was wondering if anyone has experience wiht the PSU upside down. also is the cable length of the powersuply to the mobo still sufficient?

I would recommend installing the PSU with the fan facing down. There should be no problem installing the PSU with the fan facing down in the P182 case.

Archived