Corsair Community

Corsair HX620W Buzzing

Radeonforce_1

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new gaming system. After about 3 days of the setting the system up though, I hear a buzzing sound coming from the PSU. On the first day I had it I did put my ear behind the case and all I heard was fans running (which was excellent). However, when I put my ear behind there now there is a very noticeable buzzing sound. This buzzing is continuous regardless of load and I can hear it when I'm sitting about a metre away (from about 2-3m away it is barely noticeable). Whether or not the sound is caused by the PSU, or the load attached to it, I'm not sure, but the sound is definitely coming from within the PSU. I have tried to make sure there are no loose parts or rattles just to be safe but it all appears very solidly built.

I have also experienced this buzzing sound changing frequency like several others have reported. I was playing FEAR last night (Maximum CPU and GPU settings @ 1600x1200), and in the menu screen I heard this really loud high frequency squealing (I could hear it above my Logitech Z-680's playing - not that they were overly loud). While loading FEAR I get changes in frequency of the squeal too. It is definitely very noticeable (more so than the idle buzzing sound). An interesting observation is that while playing FEAR the PSU makes less noise than sitting in the menu screen. Also I played Need for Speed Most Wanted, and Command and Conquer 3 (maximum settings in both games) to stress the system and I could not simulate the loud noises that were present in FEAR (and no my speakers were not on).

My hardware is:

Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus

Intel E6600

XFX 8800 Ultra

2GB PC2-5300 (from another vendor)

Audigy 2 ZS

Coolermaster Stacker 832

2 x Seagate 320GB

LiteOn SATA DVD Burner

NH-U12F heatsink

Noctua fans

I have read that Corsair labs have not discovered any buzzing or squealing of their PSU in their labs. In general the buzzing on idle might not be noticeable to all people, however, some of the noises made in various applications are definitely noticeable and are very irritating.

Just wondering if there are any things I can do to somehow reduce or completely get rid of the noises from the PSU. I bought my system for silence (using Noctua 12cm fans) and the sounds from the PSU make me feels like my ears are ringing (I know they aren't since it goes away when the computer is off). Any help would be very much appreciated.

I've just been through the forum reading all the threads regarding the Corsair power supplies and discovered a lot of people reporting similar (and also different) problems. Many people have noticed a constant buzzing, and others have noticed a high pitch whine under load (which I have noticed both over the last few days).

I would be very grateful if anyone who had one of these problems (either buzzing or whining) to start with and did get the PSU RMA'd can comment on any improvements they had with the new unit.

From all the great reviews of Corsair power supplies, I really hope that the majority of them are silent.

• Corsair Employee
I dont hear anything in that file, but if the PSU is not running and you hear a Buzz or hum when its off that might suggest some other issue. Are you using a battery Back up or APC? If you are please try just connected to a power strip and see if the noise goes away.

The weird sound is at seconde 11 and 20.

And I don't use a battery Back up atm, I need to change the batteries.

But this afternoon, I will open my case we will see if it really come from the PSU.

Just for clarification purposes...

There should be no constant buzz audible from the Corsair power supply at all? ?? I'm not sure if a very soft buzz (ie, which can be heard when your ear is put right to the PSU) is unavoidable.

I'm quite sure on the other hand though that the squealing is not right.

Thanks for any replies.

• Corsair Employee
Remove the battery back up and just connect it to the wall directly and see if it quits. MY battery Back up went bad and made all kinds of noise in other things including my printer that was not connected to it.

Just wanted to double check something regarding voltages...

I was checking the voltages in BIOS and they appear to be slightly low. On the 12V rail, BIOS tells me it is between 11.58 and 11.64V. This is just on the border of 3% tolerance. Also, on my 5V rail, I am getting 4.83V, and again this is only on the border of the 3% tolerance (obviously on the low side).

My question is should these voltages be slightly higher or are they nothing to worry about? Could slightly low voltages somehow place additional stress on anything???

Thanks for your help.

Archived