Corsair Community

Hardware ID Missing

allygill

My new 4Gb Flash USB Stick works OK in a Vista Ultimate powered Compaq nx6325 but the same stick generates a "Hardware ID Missing" message on my ASUS r1f laptop under Vista Business. Any ideas as to what could be causing this ?:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
If you can can you try and connect a USB hub to your notebook and then connect a UFD to the hub. If this setup still doesn’t work, you may want to reinstall the Windows Mass Storage Drives.

Tried adding the HUB but thatmade no difference, nor did attempts to update the device driver - no newer items were located. However, uninstalling the MSD driver and reinstalling it had the desired effect. CORSAIR device now located, visible and in use.

Thanks for you help...:):

I bought the 16GB stick.

Under Vista Business I get the Hardware ID missing message. The stick isn't recognized. I uninstalled the driver and re-installed. To make sure I'm on the right page: I went to Device Manager, USB, USB Mass storage device, properties, uninstall. The re-install was done by Windows automatically.

This did not help a thing. The stick is not recognized, other usb devices are without problems.

[update]

Just tried one more thing: uninstall the driver, shutdown, insert usb drive, turn on machine.

Vista recognizes the drive, assigns a driver letter, starts in parallel to install the driver.

I can't safely remove the drive because no tray icon is displayed.

When I pull the drive out and insert it again I get the Hardware ID missing message, the drive is not found, I can't use it.

Under XP pro the stick is recognized, I can copy files to it, read them etc.

In a nutshell I can't use the stick with my Vista laptop (Asus R1F), a real showstopper.

Any ideas?

• Corsair Employee
Did you try and remove all of the devices listed under USB Devices with nothing connected and restart the system? Then when you connect the FV if the driver is not detected send it to //Windows/system32/drivers or just search for the driver its looking for in another Window.

Thanks, but nothing changes.

I went to device mgr, USB controllers, uninstalled the only device in the list, rebooted, opened device mgr, found an usb mass storage device although nothing was attached. I uninstalled it again, plugged in the FV, it was added, a drive letter was assigned. So far ok.

Now, no icon in the tray to remove the FV or any other device. "Ejecting" it via explorer. Waiting a little. Re-inserting the FV, device gets installed, Hardware ID missing message flashes again. No drive letter assigned, nothing in device manager. Scan for new hardware, nothing new is found.

It's just not an option to go to device mgr, de-install all USB devices, reboot, hope everything works out after inserting FV, each time I want to use it. Let alone telling someone: please copy your files on my FV, oh, Vista I see, hm..., you might have to open device mgr, uninstall the USB mass storage device....

The way I would like my FV to work is simple (and not unreasonable I guess): plug it into my laptop, use it, remove it safely, use it elsewhere. Repeat.

I've got three usb drives: one Dell, one Imation, one XXXXXXXXX, 128MB, 1GB, 2 GB, all of them work without a flaw at any of the three USB slots (I tried all of them, I also tried inserting the extension cable instead of the FV directly).

Currently the FV "behavior" it looks like a dealbreaker to me.

• Corsair Employee
I went to device mgr, USB controllers, uninstalled the only device in the list, rebooted, opened device mgr, found an usb mass storage device although nothing was attached. I uninstalled it again, plugged in the FV, it was added, a drive letter was assigned. So far ok.

That would suggest there is or maybe some other driver you need to get from the manufacturer of your NB. Have you talk to the maker of your NB and or searched for this problem and seen if others have the same problem?

Yes, I went to the Asus forum, tabletpcreview, and gottabemobile.com, plus did some google searches (and microsoft.com). No luck with "Hardware ID missing" (few hits, essentially this forum) but with usb flash drives. However, the "solution" seems to require copying missing drivers to the Windows directory or updating old ones. Another approach was tinkering with the registry but the original problem did not seem to be similar enough to do this.

What I find a little odd is that the OS sometimes seems to recognize the drive and sometimes not.

What worked for allygill does not seem to work for me although we seem to have quite similar hardware.

• Corsair Employee

We can try replace the drive for you but the problem you have described in from your O.S. or some other software or driver from the sounds of it expecially if its working in another O.S.

Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• 2 weeks later...
I have the exact same problem down to every detail (R1F, 8 GB stick from Newegg). GeorgeCDorn, did you ever find a solution? AllyGill, if you read this, could you explain in detail the process you went through uninstalling your drivers (i.e. was the stick attached, did the computer automatically perform the reinstall or did you have to restart and reattach the drive, etc.). One note though, I was originally getting a message saying: Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device. Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. But one time after I plugged it in, it seemed to install the driver, but then I have gotten the hardware id missing message ever since (there is a hotfix for the first error I received, I tried installing it, but I am still getting the hardware id missing message).

• Corsair Employee
It should be the same solution, just try and re-install the USB storage drivers. With that system and make sure you have the latest Chipset drives installed before you remove the USB devices in Device manager.

Hi jcb7j - i'm afraid it's been a while so can't remember exactly what i did, but, i'm sure I had removed all usb devices, then removed the driver from within device manager and did a shutdown and then booted up again. I'm fairly certain that Vista did the installation automatically, once I put the flash stick back in. Good luck, I really understand your frustration, especially as this should be such a trvial thing:laughing:

Sorry, it took me a while to get a replacement 16GB stick. Same problem: Dell 600, two different desktops, 3 different OS: no problem. Asus R1F: no go. Tried all methods discussed above again, plus two different usb hubs with their own power supply. It just doesn't work.

I contacted Asus via email, the phone, finally one tech support guy called me back. No luck, he said that they don't have experience with those large memory sticks. Workaround: don't use any kind of memory stick >= 8GB.

He told me to get back to Asus in two weeks. There could be a bios update or an update of another piece of software that interferes with the usb power management. But it wasn't a commitment.

I guess Corsair is not off the hook. My two year old Kay-eye-en-gee-ess-tee-ohh-en 2GB stick works flawlessly. Somehow it appears to me to be a strange combination of Asus and Corsair, not exactly a marriage made in heaven...

Oh, the tech support guy mentioned a "nbprobe", software that did something to the usb power (in the past). He didn't follow up on his own remark, except that he didn't think it was a solution to my problem.

• Corsair Employee

GeorgeCDorn

If you like you can call our tech support and ask for me I will be happy to try and help you. However, our Flash drives use a HUB in the device and some devices like this cannot work threw a HUB. 800-205-7357 is our number.

Archived