Corsair Community

Make Voyager GT 8GB Bootable

peterws

Just got the Voyager GT 8GB drive and would like to use its speed and capacity to not only transport files between various computers but to also act as a Windows Rescue & Recovery disk. I am running XPSP2 with an AMI BIOS that does support booting from an UFD, configured either as a FD or a HD. I have investigated Bart PE and that seems to meet my need for being able to run XP from my GT. Unfortunately, getting the Voyager to be a bootable drive has driven me insane for the past three days :eek:. I must have scoured every forum on the Internet and there as as many suggested approaches as there are people posting suggestions. I have seen recommendations for different formatting utilities, advice on whether partitions should or should not be created, whether formatting should be FAT, FAT32 or NTFS, which bootimage woorks, which is best and where to get it and all I want to do is make my new GT bootable. Can you help? I know there used to be a Corsair utility that came with the drives which allowed one to make the drive bootable but that seems to have disappeared. Is there a relatively easy/simple way to make my Voyager GT a bootable drive that will run Windows XP? If so, can you lay out the sequence of steps and I think I'll be able to take it from there? With many thanks in advance...

Here, the same problems, with a 16Gb Corsair.

If you use FlashBoot (http://www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/) it allows you to boot, but will format it to fat16 with a maximum size of 4Gb.

If anyone know a solution to this, please help.

Thanks!

Just got the Voyager GT 8GB drive and would like to use its speed and capacity to not only transport files between various computers but to also act as a Windows Rescue & Recovery disk. I am running XPSP2 with an AMI BIOS that does support booting from an UFD, configured either as a FD or a HD. I have investigated Bart PE and that seems to meet my need for being able to run XP from my GT. Unfortunately, getting the Voyager to be a bootable drive has driven me insane for the past three days :eek:. I must have scoured every forum on the Internet and there as as many suggested approaches as there are people posting suggestions. I have seen recommendations for different formatting utilities, advice on whether partitions should or should not be created, whether formatting should be FAT, FAT32 or NTFS, which bootimage woorks, which is best and where to get it and all I want to do is make my new GT bootable. Can you help? I know there used to be a Corsair utility that came with the drives which allowed one to make the drive bootable but that seems to have disappeared. Is there a relatively easy/simple way to make my Voyager GT a bootable drive that will run Windows XP? If so, can you lay out the sequence of steps and I think I'll be able to take it from there? With many thanks in advance...

• Corsair Employee
The best way would be to use a Win9X Boot Floppy and then set the FV as a HDD in the BIOS and make sure its listed as a boot able device in the BOOT menu and then boot with the Win9X Boot floopy and FDISK and FORMAT the FV like a HDD.

• 2 months later...
The best way would be to use a Win9X Boot Floppy and then set the FV as a HDD in the BIOS and make sure its listed as a boot able device in the BOOT menu and then boot with the Win9X Boot floopy and FDISK and FORMAT the FV like a HDD.

Ok.. that's a good thing.. the key itself is bootable I gather?

I've managed to get it formatted via the win9x boot cd (fdd image).. get's the system files installed (copied to it)..

but then when it boots up to the device, it gives me the missing operating system error message..

I'll be messing around with it, but I wanted to make sure that there is no weird partitioning of the device (8GB voyager GT) that prevent booting.

Correct?

Ok.. that's a good thing.. the key itself is bootable I gather?

I've managed to get it formatted via the win9x boot cd (fdd image).. get's the system files installed (copied to it)..

but then when it boots up to the device, it gives me the missing operating system error message..

I'll be messing around with it, but I wanted to make sure that there is no weird partitioning of the device (8GB voyager GT) that prevent booting.

Correct?

Argh.. ok got it.. :)

Booted to 98 boot cd (pc has no floopy)

fdisk - create partion (make sure enable large disk support for large usb keys)

format drive (/q/u/s)

Make the partition active

** If you get errors when trying to mark it active, you have to make sure it is drive 1 (go into your pc bios and make sure it is the first HARD DRIVE type device in teh boot sequence).

That was it..

If anyone want's some help, I'm happy to offer as I'm sure some people are still stuck on this

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I'm using this tool myself:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

Just format a floppy with system files on it, run this program, point to the floppy, and off you go.

Hello! I am trying to:

1. Make my Corsair Voyager Mini 8 GB bootable

2. Copy Windows XP SP 2 installation to the USB stick.

3. Install Windows XP on my acer aspire one.

I have tried the following:

- HP Drive Key Boot utility: I got error message "Boot fail" when trying to boot from the USB stick.

- Tip from here: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8151. Did not work: PeToUSB gave an error message while formatting

- The quoted link from Cricri. This made my usb stick bootable. I get a command prompt when booting. But how can I install windows XP. I just copied the installation files to the usb stick after making bootable. After booting I try to run setup.exe from command prompt, but error message folllows: "This program cannot be run in dos mode". How can I fire up the windows installation?

You would need to ask Microsoft to be sure but normally the Install command would be WinNT32.exe or something like that.

hmm, I got the same error message when i tried to start Winnt32.exe from the command propmt

"This program cannot be run in dos mode"

Archived