Corsair Community

Asus Crosshair & TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

DomG

Hey all-

After going through two sets of "that three letter brand" DDR2 and having both develop problems after a few months of use at stock speed/timings, I've finally decided to ditch them altogether and upgrade to 4GB of Corsair. The order was placed last night on Newegg, so it's a little late to change my mind, but I am wondering if anyone has used this combination of hardware and if so what were the results. It seems as though this particular motherboard is either very picky with RAM or just likes to eat it for lunch, so I'm hoping that the move to Corsair will solve the issues I've been having. Just FYI I'm on my second set of RAM and second motherboard and everything else has tested out OK, including Vista64. Thanks for any info you can provide.

-Dom

Thanks for the re-assurance, RamGuy. I do hope you're right - I'll post tomorrow night with the results if anyone is interested.

For anyone else with experience using this or a similar setup, I encourage you to leave comments. That way, people searching for information in the future will have something to read.

-Dom

Hey all...

I finally got this memory installed last night when I came home from work and enjoyed the results so much I was up WAY past my bedtime.

I browsed through the Asus forums last night while at work to see if anyone had experienced problems running 4GB of RAM with this mobo and Vista64. They actually have an unofficial FAQ going for the Crosshair, which can be found here: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070530030841625&board_id=1&model=Crosshair&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

A key point of interest I found in that FAQ was a Windows Update for Vista that patched a bug which caused problems for users with more than 3GB of memory. The Knowledge Base article can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777. Bear in mind that the article has links to download the patches for both 32- and 64-bit versions of Vista.

That being said, I downloaded and installed the patch with my one remaining functional RAM module, then proceeded to restart the system and set all RAM options in the BIOS to "Auto" to be sure the new timings and voltage assigned by the SPD chip would be detected and used. I then shut the system down, installed the new Corsair kit I mention in the thread title, and booted back up into the BIOS to make sure everything took. All settings were properly detected, so I manually set the voltage to 1.85v and all timings settings to the default (I hate using "Auto" for a BIOS setting).

The system booted up without any issues, and certainly faster than ever. The difference between using 2GB and 4GB of RAM in Vista64 seems to be very similar to the difference between 1GB and 2GB in WinXP; average users browsing the internet won't notice the difference, but gamers/power users/graphic artists etc. certainly will. The GUI loads faster and operates more smoothly, the few startup programs I do have load almost immediately (AVG, Speedfan, Windows Networking), other applications load faster and operate more quickly; in other words, the whole system noticeably benefitted and feels much smoother and snappier. So far I have played through a bit of Doom3, Far Cry, and STALKER, and each seems to run a bit smoother and load levels faster. I have yet to do any heavy-duty work in Photoshop or my RAW editor, but can post will those results if anyone interested.

The conclusion: this memory is VERY compatible and works incredibly well with my hardware, but I cannot discount the importance of proper preparations prior to installation.

-Dom

It's no problem at all. I've spent quite a bit more time using this setup and have yet to experience one error or moment of flaky behavior - this computer finally performs the way it should have since day one. I just fixed the links in my above post as there was an extra "http://" in each of them. Glad I could help.

-Dom

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all...

A key point of interest I found in that FAQ was a Windows Update for Vista that patched a bug which caused problems for users with more than 3GB of memory. The Knowledge Base article can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777. Bear in mind that the article has links to download the patches for both 32- and 64-bit versions of Vista.

-Dom

Thanks! im gonna se if i have this update! i have been getting some BSOD and some other error reports and hopefully this will help

But do you know if this applies even after a successful installation of vista? cause i had no problem installing vista. my problems showed After the install.

just in case this don't help me.. sometimes when i run memcheck 86+ there are errors on my modules. after i noticed it, i write down the address and the test it was running, and try to run the exact same test again to verify. but it wont show up again!?

Same goes with the built in ram-test in Vista. one time it gave me an error. next test it was gone. it ran for 7 hours..

Could this be that the BIOS dosn't support the module fully or is the module bad?

i dono if you can se my setup? i wrote it all down when registering. my chipset is radeon express 1250 on a Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD Motherboard using TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

The update absolutely does apply to a successful installation of Vista, as that is how I implemented it in my system. Other than the BSOD, what type of error reports have you been getting? What type of BSOD errors are they? If they're of the "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" type then it might be an issue with your motherboard. I see that you're using a motherboard with a built-in video processor; that type of GPU uses the system RAM because it does not have its own dedicated RAM, so that might also be the source of the issue. Be sure you have the latest graphics drivers.

I would also run some memory checks with one module installed in the motherboard at a time just to eliminate the chance that one of them is bad. Also, check to make sure you have the latest BIOS revision and that your BIOS is set up properly according to the guidelines they have published here. Check the signature of RamGuy's posts for a link to the configuration pages.

Hope this helps,

-Domenic

Im having all sorts of BSOD. my latest was called BAD_POOL_CALLER. first time iv'e seen it.

i ran memtest for 4 days. when i was away. but when i came back i noticed that it had been interuppted after 25h so it stoped. but it was enough to fill the screen with error reports all the way down to the bottom of the screen.

Maybe it is because the built in videocard is using that section of the ram so it can't really process the information that memtest want's it to? im getting a new card though.. still, it sucks having everything set up exept the ram's

the reason i why i think it's a mb issue is that it has been alot more stable since i updated the bios to the latest version. just updated it again to a even later version!

The patch for 4gb ram in vista just wont install! i tryed downloading it manualy but i still refuses to install. sais "installation failed."

dono why it does that. all other updates are installed..

When you ran Memtest, did you run it with both modules installed? I mentioned in my last post that you need to run it with one module installed at a time, so as to determine if the problem lies witin one specific module. When you attempted to install the Vista patch, did you do so with only one module installed in the motherboard? I mentioned that you should install the patch with LESS than 4GB installed, to be sure there are no errors during installation. The fact that you're having errors in Memtest tells me that the problem won't be solved with the patch installation...so what you really need to do is follow the instructions and test each module individually so we can come to some kind of conclusion as to what is causing your errors.

-Dom

One other thing: if you want to continue troubleshooting your specific setup, it might be better done in a separate post as this is becoming off-topic the more we troubleshoot individual parts of your system.

Yes, i agree i should start a new post with my problem. but ill reply to your last post first.

I ran memtest with both modules. i was in a hurry so i just let it run and i went away for a couple of days. i do see why it makes more sense runing tests with one module at a time.

as for the vista patch i googled for it and i found a solution. Turns out there was a fix already installed wich you had to uninstall and reinstall it again to make windows update stop nagging about it.

and finally.. today i got a "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error.

I might be getting a new graphics card next week so i can dissable the built in one and run memtest again.

lets continue this disscussion in my new post. ill name it: "Abit f-i90HD & Crosshair TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX"

• 5 months later...

Hi there Guys:

I have this problem: In march this year I bought a Crosshair motherboard, and I installed on it

4 Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4D

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5200

EVGA e-GeForce 8800GTS 640 MB PCIe Video Card

Ultra X-Finity ULT31848 600-Watt

The PC worked fine for a while until that a blue screen appeared in Windows and restarted. Then It beeped three times (memory leak) and in the LCD screen you could read DET DRAM.After disconnecting all Corsair modules and started the PC with a sole generic module. After that, I began to connect progressively again all Corsair modules and the pc worked.

Yesterday, my PC had the same failure, I followed the same procedure but without success. Of all Corsair modules, only one works. After this I reinstalled the PC completely, updated the bios, I setup the memories under 2.1v and 4-4-4-4 12 but withou any results.

After checking Asus' QVL it says that Crosshair MB only works with a single memory module of this model. So Why the PC started before with 4 modules and not now?

After restoring the Bios, my question is. How do I have to configure the bios in order that all 4 modules can work? If I have to purchase new memory modules which is the brand and model of DDR-2 800 you would recommend me?

Thank you and regards from a newbie,

I've got exactly the same problem with a crosshair mb, with a system very similar to the above running XP. It ran for a while with two M2X1024-6400C4 modules, then ran into major problems, even the bios froze on more than one occasion .

After talking to my daughters boyfriend, an IT techie, we applied the stratagy of employing 1 module at a time, to find out if one or both were broke. We found that one is and one is'nt, it perplexed him. Perhaps the mb is frying all but the first. It would be interesting find out which slots are frying them, or the memory frying the slots.

Has anybody had problems with similar makes with this mb, if so we should all posting on Asuses forum, if not I suggest corsairs techies get touch with Asuses techies and come to some afable solution.:(:

Archived