Corsair Community

Opteron not POSTing with TwinX 2GB DDR400 REG-ECC

Hi,

I previously posted to the forum regarding this batch of TwinX 2GB DDR400 Registered ECC memory not being compatible with my Intel Xeon system and PU-DL motherboard here. http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58744

Well I've obtained a working dual Opteron 244 (1.8GHz) with the MSI K8T Master2-FAR motherboard to use the memory in and the system does not POST...it just beeps. I tested each module individually and the problem is isolated to one of the two DIMM's. I verified that the DIMM slots were working ok with an existing set of TwinX 1GB DDR400 REG-ECC Low Latency.

Please let me know if I can RMA the bad memory. Also since it was TwinX memory, should I ship both back so that I can get an identical pair back?

Thanks.

RamGuy - I submitted for an RMA number back on 6/14, but I have not yet received an email from Corsair. Any idea what could be holding it up?

UPDATE - Nevermind, I just got an email from them now. Thanks!

Ok, I have sent the modules back via FedEx express and will patiently wait for the replacement.

-- Next issue --

I just ran into a strange problem with my existing set of Corsair TWINX1024RE-3200 (2x512MB) Low Latency Platinum (LL PT) modules though. The DIMM's are marked as v1.1. I had mistakenly put them in the same colored slots (like most other motherboards) but on the MSI K8T Master2-FAR system, that is single-channel mode. So I put the memory in slots 1 & 2 (different color) for dual-channel and Windows now locks up on bootup.

I tried running Memtest86+ but that immediately caused a reboot. On a whim, I go into the BIOS and disable the ECC ChipKill feature and now it runs Memtest86+ w/o any problems.

So it seems that when these modules are in dual-channel mode, the ECC ChipKill causes big problems. Aren't these TWINX Reg-ECC modules compatible with AMD ECC ChipKill? For now I'm going to have to live with the ECC turned off until I get back my other set of DIMM's.

Ok, so the normal ECC bit-error corrections and ChipKill are two different things?

If so, then is normal ECC feature on the memory useless on my motherboard? Memtest86+ says that ECC is totally disabled when I disable ChipKill. Not sure how to test while I'm in Windows. I thought CPU-Z would show it, but it just shows the DIMM's as supporting ECC...not necessarily using ECC.

• 3 weeks later...
RamGuy - I submitted for an RMA number back on 6/14, but I have not yet received an email from Corsair. Any idea what could be holding it up?

UPDATE - Nevermind, I just got an email from them now. Thanks!

RamGuy - I sent my RAM back via FedEx Express Saver and they show that it was delivered back on 6/21. Is there a backlog of RMA's or something? Seems that the typical "72hr turn-around plus 3day shipping" time window has elapsed already.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry we can no longer check RMA status in Tech Support; please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext “0” or send them an email (rma@corsairmemory.com) with your RMA# and ask them for the status!

Thanks for the info. I sent an email but haven't gotten any reply so I just called the toll free number for the status.

Uggh...turns out that you guys don't have stock of the RE stuff and the guy told me that it won't ship until July 30th. :[pouts:

• 2 months later...

Ok, so I eventually got my memory about a month ago. It turned out that the first person I spoke to didn't know that my TwinX DDR-400 RE was discontinued. The next guy I spoke to shipped me a pair of standard server DDR-400 RE modules. The modules work & test out fine...but only by themselves.

Now I have an issue where my motherboard doesn't boot with my existing TwinX DDR-400 RE LowLatency modules. It only works with one or the other.

I have tried the latest beta BIOS, swapping the memory banks, and also tried manually setting the CAS latency to 3 in the BIOS but it still won't boot. Now I'm stuck with only 2GB of memory (the RMA'ed ones) for my Opteron workstation. Are there any compatibility issues with the TwinX DDR-400 RE LowLatency and the Server Memory DDR-400 RE ??? :confused:

• Corsair Employee
Ideally you would want to have all the modules replaced with a matching set of memory to ensure compatibility in the system. If you would just like to return the faulty modules, that is fine, however the new modules may or may not be compatible with the older ones.

• 2 months later...

RamGuy,

I can't take our server off-line, so I have submitted an RMA (Case# 335491) for just the TwinX1024RE-3200LLPT.

At this point, I'd be happy if I could just both pairs of DDR400-RE memory working together in my MSI K8T Master2-FAR motherboard. I would be happy with just the standard CM72SD1024RLP-3200/S memory.

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
Please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "0" after 8:00 AM Pacific Time tomorrow!

RamGuy - We've decided to take the server offline while I RMA the memory. I called the RMA dept on Monday 12/3 and was told that tech support would call me back. I have not received any calls thus far.

What should I do?...Call customer service again and make sure they know that I'm including all the memory (2x CM72SD1024RLP-3200/S + TWINX1024RE-3200LLPT)?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I just received the RMA but it only had one stick of CM72SD1024RLP-3200/M...suppose that was the only solution to my TWINX1024RE-3200-LLPT not working...but that's fine.

The problem now is that my original two sticks of CM72SD1024RLP-3200/S (which were part of the first RMA) were not sent back to me. They wouldn't be shipped back separately right?

Now I have to call customer/tech support again... :mad:

Archived