Corsair Community

I think i have a bad stick of memory-CM2x1024-6400c4

PC freezes upon POST when paired with another module of same model. Other module alone boots the system up into Windows. Suspect module alone results in my PC stating "kernel file is missing, reload OS". BIOS settings are default. It has been working for past year up until now. MB is ASUS M2N-32SLI-Deluxe.

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the tested settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I still have intermittent problems with booting my system up. When I COLD boot it, it will freeze up at some point during POST, either when it says "detecting memory" or something to that effect or when it's detecting my RAID setup. I can't even get to the point of running memtest when this happens. The only way I can get it to boot is to take out the suspected module(leaving the good one in) or strangely, cut power to the motherboard by flipping the switch off on my power supply so that the green light on my motherboard goes out, then flip the power back on and turn on the PC. Only then will it allow me to boot the PC with the suspected module; I then run the memtest after that and all tests pass-I even let it run overnight and it pasts 10 tests. So now I'm not sure if the motherboard or power supply have something to do with it, or if it's still just a bad module holding some foreign electrical charge that renders it useless until I cut power off completely.

I did set bios defaults, then voltage to 2.0, and legacy USB off, but I have not noticed any difference...

So I got around to testing them one at a time. With just the one in that i think is good, memtest runs fine and passes tests. If I then remove that module and put in the one I think is bad, it won't even boot to memtest. The system hangs before that. I'm even using the same slot on the motherboard that I had the working one in. I've also tried other slots and it still hangs with that one module. I swapped modules back and forth several times. The "good" one works individually each time, but the suspect one fails to boot and load memtest individually every time. So it's this 1 module that's bad then right? I'm out of ideas now. My machine is currently running on the "good" one and is allowing me to post this right now.

• 1 month later...
So I sent in my bad pair and got another pair back. Frustratingly, one of the replacement modules is bad, my PC just starts beeping immediately and nothing shows up on the screen(one long beep, and 2 short). If I try the other module alone, it works fine. Swapped back and forth several times but same thing. So now I have to send the replacement back for another set? cm2x1024-6400c4, xms6404v2.1 are the numbers on the bad one.

Archived