Corsair Community

HX520 Slows performance??

haywire

I just replaced my Thermaltake TR2-430W PSU with a new Corsair HX520W and system performance is noticeably slower. Also, got some "Delayed write failed" Windows error messages and an occasional "application had to shut down..." error message.

PSU fan is spinning and otherwise seems to power components up, but Windows XP seems noticeably sluggish, esp Windows Explorer operations. Replaced the system drive with a new 200 GB Western Digital SATA drive but still slow. I removed the Corsair HX520W and re-installed the old Thermaltake and performance & stability returned.

Re-installed the Corsair HX520 and double checked all cable connections, using the SATA power connector (1 cable w/2 SATA connectors) etc. and sluggishnesh/stability issues returned. It's almost as if there is some compatibility problem with hard drives or they are not getting enough power from PSU.

Both 4-pin and SATA HDD power cable give same results, so seems unlikely that it's a cable or connectivity problem.

Can't RMA the unit back to buy.com because of their return policy (14 days).

I have fairly standard components and setup:

Asus P5B motherboard

Intel E4400 Dual Core

WD 200GB SATA system drive

WD 250GB SATA data drive

Pioneer DVR-710 Optical drive

XFX 6500 GeForce PCI Express video card

Windows XP Professional SP2

What could be causing this slowness? I like this PSU, but the stability/performance issues are unacceptable. :[pouts:

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Haywire

• Corsair Employee

When you changed the PSU did you reset the MB Bios and load setup defaults?

But it would be hard for a PSU to cause this symptom. Can you check in the hardware monitor portion of the Bios and see if the Voltages are all O.K.?

"When you changed the PSU did you reset the MB Bios and load setup defaults?"

No, I didn't. I wasn't aware that I was supposed to and I don't see anything the Users Manual about doing that.

I will give it a try and let you know what happens.

As far as the voltages. All seem to be with spec for 12v, 5v and 3.3v according to what's reported in BIOS.

"But it would be hard for a PSU to cause this symptom"

Doesn't make sense to me either, but I can think of no other explanation, since the problem goes away when I reinstall my old PSU.

-haywire

Archived