Corsair Community

Can I mix Corsair types?

NikolaiDante

Hi,

I would like to upgrade my PC from 2GB to 4GB. I currently have 2 x TWINX CM2X1024-8500C5 (5-5-5-15) sticks. I also have in another PC 2 x TWINX CM2x1024-6400 (5-5-5-12) sticks

Can I put all of these sticks in the main PC and have them run okay? I appreciate that the 8500 sticks will have to run slower but I've tested the 6400 sticks in my PC and they run fine (and my PC is massively overclocked)

If it helps I am using a ECS 122-CK-NF68-AR mobo with X6800 CPU clocked to 3.85Ghz.

The CPU is liquid cooled and I am purchasing Koolance RAM coolers to watercool the RAM sticks.

I am going to try this out but are there any complications I should be aware of?

Thanks

The only way to know for sure is to install and test. As far as complications, that is a VERY hot chipset on that MOBO already so make sure you cool your NB VERY well. In some cases, users with 4 DIMMs on that board have to increase the NB voltage.

Also, you will be mixing 2 differenct types of ICs which can lead to instability. I would suggest that you set the memory timings manually to 5,5,5,15 and the voltage to 2.1v or 2.2v maximum.

Cheers for the reply. I'll try the manual settings and see what happens. Currently the NB is not too hot - about 40C. If it gets much hotter I may switch it from air and put it into the liquid cooling loop

Good deal and let us know how it works. I have not seen anyone else do that same mix yet.

Archived