Corsair Community

Cm2512-8500

I have a bad stick of memory, I ordered the 2 pack of ddr2-8500 gaming memory from newegg.com on 09/16/2006. It's never gave me any problems until this week the computer just gave a parity error and locked up, when I tried to reboot the bios just beeped the memory error. I took one of them out and it did the same thing, swapped them and it booted fine, albiet it in single channel mode :(

The warranty request for the memory states that I have to contact technical help here before requesting an RMA number, so I'm totally open to suggestions on what could be wrong with this memory. For the record, I've tried it now in 3 computers, each giving the same error on bootup(the beeps were different due to different bios's, boards, etc, but the error descriptions in the manual all match haha).

As far as I know there's not much more that can be done with it, any suggestions?

Joshua

• 2 weeks later...
I sent this memory in with RMA# 567113, ups showed it delivered a week ago. On the RMA information it said they had a 24-48 hour turn around on email confirmation. I have not received an email informing me they received the memory, is there a number I can call or another way I can confirm that? Thanks guys :).

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I had this one stick of memory replaced, and the replacement has been working great! Last night it did the EXACT same thing to me, and this time it's the OTHER stick from the original set! I tried it in my other two machines with the same result yet again. I'm totally confused though, I have literally ordered hundreds of sticks of memory from you guys over the last few years, and this is the only one I've ever even had a problem with at all. Is it possible that the set just came from the same die set and where both flawed? What should I do for further testing etc etc??

THanks guys!

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and then load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 2.2 volts and then set the timings to 5-5-5-15 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Make sure when running memtest you have “Legacy USB Support” disabled in the BIOS.

I would be more than happy to test this stick, but the motherboard won't even boot with it in, it just beeps the memory error code. I've tried it in two motherboards with the same results. The other stick of the pair got replaced a few months ago and it works fine, and tests fine. I've never overclocked these chips or done anything non stock with them. So short of being able to test them, what else should I try?

• Corsair Employee
I would try to set the settings with the working module in the system, if the the failing module still gives you issues, then let's get them or it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or “Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Archived