Corsair Community

Safely remove hardware issue

lebrocoli

Hi all,

I had a Flash Voyager 1Gig for a long time without any issue.

Recently, I bought a flash voyager GT 8 Gig. Everything seems to work fine except when I try to use the 'Safely Remove hardware' feature.

The first time I try to 'safely remove hardware' I ALWAYS get a message saying that an application is still accessing the drive and that that the drive cannot be disconnected. Then I do i do it again and works right away. It does that every time. That is strange isn't?

Anybody is experiencing this?

Thanks

Well, Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition is always running in the background and also 2 processes from PerfectDisk: PDAgent.exe and PDEngine.exe

But if we assume that these would create problems, I would also see the issue with my 1Gig stick?

Thanks

Good.

My registry entries are all fine.

I tried the unlocker and it said that no locking handles were found.

That said, here what I have discovered: If I right-click on the drive itself and select 'Eject', the drive name goes from 'Corsair GT' to 'Removable Drive' and then, I can use the 'Safely remove' feature without any problems.

Is there a difference between 'Eject' and 'Safely Remove' ?

Let me know.

Thanks

To answer your question, as soon as I got the new GT Stick, I change the properties to 'Enable Write Caching' and formatted it to NTFS.

That said, here is another discovery. I have a machine with windows 2000 with the same software running as my windows XP machine and everything works like a charm. I can safely remove the drive every time.

So that confirms that my stick is OK. I bet one of the Microsoft Windows patch broke something. That is the only thing I can see.

Another test that I did is I disabled 'Write Caching'n but the problem persists. It is very strange. I always need to 'Safely remove' twice for the thing to work.

Do you know if in the ~100 WinXP Post SP2 patches, if Microsoft change something in the area of removable drives?

Thanks

Hey, I just re-installed Win XP-SP2 from scratch and applied the ~86 patches from the web site. I did not installed any software. Nothing.

Then I injected my stick. All good.

Then I tried to Safely remove it and it did NOT work!

That proves that it is Microsoft again.

That said, one last question: Why you say that we should not enable 'Write Caching'?

Let me know.

Thanks

• Corsair Employee
Why you say that we should not enable 'Write Caching'?

By Default the drive will be listed as a removable drive and that is not enabled as I remember,

did You try and restore the properties of the drive to default and see if it will work?

In other words remove the drive from device manager and then restart the system and then let windows install and set the drive to default Windows settings and see if that works

Ok. I will try that.

In the mean time, I tried my 1 gig stick and it still works like a charm.

So it means that it is not microsoft. It is the GT stick itself.

Now, since I can 'Eject' it and then 'Safely Remove' it without any problems, it seems to suggest that the difference lies between what is installed on the machine the first time you insert a 'normal' stick compared with what is installed the first time you insert a 'GT' stick.

OR

The controller within the GT stick is different enough from the 'normal' stick to not respond the same way to the 'Safely Remove' task.

What do you think?

Thanks

Ok. I tried what you asked for.

1.I uninstalled.

2.I rebooted.

3.I re-insert my stick.

4.I let the computer install the new driver.

5.I try to safely remove it.

But it does the same thing. I have to do it twice to make it ok. Strange.

Tell me one thing: How does WinXP knows that is the Corsair GT version? Because when the driver gets installed, I see Corsair GT.

Is it a string inside the stick that gets sent to the OS?

Thanks for all your time.

I was doing more tests and I have a question:

When I insert the stick I get two entries in device manager:

The first entry is 'USB Mass Storage Device' under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

The second entry is called 'Generic Volume' and is under 'Storage Volume'.

Does that make sense?

Archived