Corsair Community

AA8XE 2GB Memory Compability

Hanksta

Need some help. I have an Alienware built destop with an Abit AA8XE motherboard that has 1GB ram currently. I am interested in adding more ram and I used the Corsair Configurator for its recommendations. Im really interested in the TWIN2X2048-5400C4 (2GB) but I have some questions. I'm not an expert on hardware so any help would be appreciated.

1. The Configurator says that the TWIN2X2048-5400C4 is compatible with my MB but in my manual it says it supports DDR2-533/400 which I believe is PC2-4200. Would I have a problem installing the TWIN2X2048-5400C4 (DDR2-675) since it is a higher speed? Will I have to tweak anything or overclock to run these? I would like to just be able to install them and have it work without any tweaking of my computer. I do want the ability to overclock later if I need to however.

2. I also saw that TWIN2X2048-5400C4PT is also compatible. Compared to the TWIN2X2048-5400C4, what's the difference? It seems to me that the only difference is the heat spreader is a diffferent color. Is one better than the other?

3. Lastly, when I'm installing the pair does it matter which slots they go in? I know the same sticks need to be paired together but does it matter in what order? For example, would I benefit from installing the new larger memory 2GB sticks in the slots where my existing (2) 512MB sticks are now or does that even matter?

Well thanks for any help in advance.

• Corsair Employee
I would not suggest mixing memory for best performance and it would be best to just replace what you have now with one Twin2x2048-5400C4 set of modules for best performance. And lastly XM2S-5400C4 modules are tested at 675 Mhz but the MB will by default set the memory to 667 MHz, in order to run the memory at the tested settings you would need to over clock slightly, but they will run at 667 MHz with out any problems.

Archived