Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400 - Conflicting Diagnostics

Naetho

I'm having a problem with conflicting test results from different diagnostic programs.

My RAM is TWIN2X2048-6400. It is running at the clock and timings specified in the documentation (800Mhz, 5-5-5-12, 1.9V), so I do not believe timings or configuration to be an issue.

I had been having instability with programs that use large amounts of RAM (Video gaming, iTunes..)

I left Memtest86+ run its default tests overnight and it reported no errors.

However, running the Windows Memory Diagnostic extended tests produces the following error:

Test: MATS+

Cache: Disabled

Address: 0D1D0044 (This address is the same every time)

Expected: FFFFFFFF

Actual: FFFDFFFF (once it produced FFFEFFFF)

This error appears to surface every time the windows memory diagnostic attempts that test.

Why would Memtest86+ not detect this? Could it be a false positive in the windows memory diagnostic?

System configuration:

MSI 975x Platinum PowerUp Edition (BIOS flashed to 7.4 to correctly support DDR2 800)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400

2.0GB DDR2 800Mhz Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400

Evga GeForce 7900GT KO

I was running memtest86+ again, selecting the "cache disabled" test(s) and I noticed strange behavior from memtest itself.

First, the progress would go very quickly from 0-50% for both Pass and Test, then slow down tremendously. Afterwards, it steadily climbed.. past 100%. It's currently showing progress at 276%. I had left this on while I was away at class, and apparently this is the second pass (though it still shows no errors). Is there something wrong with the program, or is this normal?

Also, according to the documentation and interface, it's not testing 276MB of ram because it's "reserved". It seems that I can force it to test it, but the documentation simply says it is "not safe". If I test that, worst case is that it crashes the diagnostic program, right?

Please Help!

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I configured the BIOS as directed and set the voltage to 2.1V and tested each module individually and then together with the test they had been failing. They both passed it this time, but when I started windows and attempted to run games they began crashing immediately (always within 20 seconds of loading). I re-ran the windows memory diagnostic tool and let it run overnight with the RAM at 2.1V and other errors surfaced.

I will try other voltages in between 1.9V and 2.1V at some point today when I get the chance, but do you have any other suggestions?

Archived