Corsair Community

Power Cut Offs and Reboots? Bad Ram? Please help!

While playing bf2142, I go afk for about 2 mins to make myself a screwdriver and enjoy my vacation and the computer rebooted itself. It then rebooted itself 6 more times randomly, sometimes prepost, others in bio's and a few while windows was loading. After that I stripped it down and did a quick look over and all was well. Keep in mind my TOP temps were about, cpu 45 system 37. All worked fine till the next day when I got myself a new psu, just a temporay supply I use for testing, Thermaltake 750 watt. Until my Silverstone PSU gets here next month

The computer only rebooted itself once during prepost and worked fine for about 24 hours and started to do the same thing again, this time it took 11 reboots to get a stable run, at which time I ran antivirus, adaware, spybot, and took a look at hijack this. I also looked at my event veiwer which where all clean.

From there I went to Ortho's which crashed on the small test once hitting the 768k test. Rebooted 4 times and back to orthos I went. Currently I have been running the large test for 2 and a half hours and all is being passed. Then went to a Blend test for 2 hours with no hitches

I am assuming since it does not appear to be power supply issue, I am assuming it is mobo, or fatal1ty card. I am assuming it is not a hard drive issue. any advise

From there I ran MEMTEST 86+ and I got this

TST=5 Pass=0 Failing address=006b090800 1712.0MB good=00040000 bad= 10040000 Err-bits=10000000 count=1

TST=5 Pass=0 Failing address=006c0907e0 1728.0 MB good=00040000 bad= 10040000 Err-bits=10000000 count=1

TST=5 Pass=1 Failing address=006b090800 1712.0MB good=00040000 bad= 10040000 Err-bits=10000000 count=1

TST=5 Pass=1 Failing address=006c0907e0 1728.0 MB good=00040000 bad= 10040000 Err-bits=10000000 count=1

TST=5 Pass=2 Failing address=006b090800 1712.0MB good=00040000 bad= 10040000 Err-bits=10000000 count=1

TST=5 Pass=2 Failing address=006c0907e0 1728.0MB good=00040000 bad= 10040000 Err-bits=10000000 count=1

I have done no overclocking of the ram and kept bio's at default except for disabling onboard audio.

Max temps in my case is system 37 cpu-44

Bios is also kept updated

I did not see any leaky or bulgy transistors on the mobo, have yet to check out the fatal1ty card.

So am I leaving anything out? What else could it be?

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I doublechecked legacy and made sure it was disabled

Then I set the ram to manual and placed it at +.3 Volts as suggested and memtest found nothing after 3 runs.

My question is wtf? is that all that was wrong? why after all of these months and weeks since my last bios flash, why start to do it now? at such a random time after no real change

I am gona step out for a bit and let orthos run, thanks ram guy

• Corsair Employee

I would check the event log and see what type of error is getting logged if any and search for them at http://www.microsoft.com/technet.

But if you are not getting errors in memtest I would suspect some other issue. Do you have the ability to test the modules in another system?

Bottom line, I dont have a problem replacing your modules if you want to try that but what you have posted so far would suggest some other problem.

and in the end, reflashing the bios stablized it all :oops: why is it always the simplest and most overlooked issues.

then agan I wouldnt have dared to think about flashing my bios as it was randomly rebooting

I disabled automaticly restart, write an event to the system log was checked and I left it that way

Thanks again, now to attempt to bring this psu back to comp usa, guess I dont need it after all, I know thermaltake makes good cases, but I have heard bad things about there psu's. So i guess back to my Ultra until my silverstone psu comes my way.

THANKS!

You might want to check that cmos battery before swapping out the supplies. A weak battery coupled with a power supply exchange can lead to a bit of corruption creeping into the flashed bios. I've seen weak batteries even on brand new boards.

You might want to check that cmos battery before swapping out the supplies. A weak battery coupled with a power supply exchange can lead to a bit of corruption creeping into the flashed bios. I've seen weak batteries even on brand new boards.

ill keep that in mind for future swaps, thanks

Well I swapped back my old PSU, and sure enough on running memtest 86+, I got the exact same issues as before with BOTH power supplies.

I tried to connect directly to the wall instead of the surge protector.

same, random beeps when booting into windows every 15 to 30 seconds apart.

dooee-dooo type beep.

I took out the cmos battery, shorted the ends and reset bios to defaults, well other then the +.3 Volts

Ran memtest again and all was clean, booted into windows and I got that beeping as before, but this time only once and not continous every 15-30 seconds apart.

after clearing the cmos before with the thermaltake psu all was fine. so would it be a cmos battery issue or a matter of power supplies. Keep in mind that it hasnt or isnt randomly rebooting (yet) as it had last week, or would it be a bad cmos battery?

• Corsair Employee
I think I would talk to the MB maker and see what they say, but that might suggest a power problem, either on the MB or in the PSU and since you changed the PSU?? Ask them and see what they say and please remember I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that!

Actully it started to do it again, random cut off's while palying bf2142. I did track down the random beeping, it was gigabyte's easytune 5. A week from monday I will be getting a silverstone psu seeing that I brought back the thermaltake psu thinking the problem was the cmos battery. It appears it was not that. So it is either psu or ram I guess. Will let you know later!~ Thanks for all your help up ramguy

Archived